PDA

View Full Version : This fire brick ok?

wobbletop
12-09-2021, 04:17 PM
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/firebrick-9-x-4-5-x-1-25-in-0642720p.0642720.html

It often goes on sale at 50% off. I just want to make sure there's no issue with it before I buy enough to brick my oil tank evaporator I plan on building.

Thanks!

wobbletop
12-13-2021, 10:49 AM
And do you "need" ceramic blanket under it? I was only planning to use fire brick in the actual fire box.

aamyotte
12-13-2021, 10:56 AM
The fire blanket between the brick and wall of the evaporator will help keep the heat inside the evaporator reducing wood use and burning your legs when you are close to the evaporator tending to the sap.

Trapper2
01-15-2022, 10:27 AM
The fire blanket between the brick and wall of the evaporator will help keep the heat inside the evaporator reducing wood use and burning your legs when you are close to the evaporator tending to the sap.
Exactly, Also you wouldn't want any kid touching an uninsulated box. Another benefit, you will get a much better boil keeping that heat inside.

maple flats
01-17-2022, 08:57 PM
That firebrick is fine, but it's what is called half brick, because it's about half thickness of regular fire brick.
Any I've ever bought I got from masonry suppliers (concrete delivery trucks etc.) and the brick was far lower priced. While I'm going back 10 years, I paid less than $2.00 US, more like $1.60 each. It's the same fire brick used in oil, gas, electric or solid fueled boilers and kilns. However, if you plan to use refractory cement, surprisingly it was less from Leader in pre-mixed (likely other maple equipment suppliers too).

wobbletop
01-18-2022, 11:33 AM
CDL price seems to be the same as this is "on sale" so I'll just get it at CDL.

I am unsure of the mechanics of a layer of wool, followed by fire brick, and then cement if possible. How does it all stay attached to the sides of the evaporator?

eustis22
01-18-2022, 12:10 PM
The refractory cement holds everything in place. Just make sure you do a good curing after cementing.