PDA

View Full Version : 50 million pounds of syrup released!

220 maple
11-26-2021, 10:57 PM
After the leader of the free world released 50 million barrels of crude oil to try and lower gas prices, I guess you Canucks just could not stand it and released 50 million pounds of syrup. The price of syrup was getting to high? Too Funny
Mark 220 Maple

fred
11-27-2021, 07:34 AM
Supply and demand!! It did what it was created for. High demand and low production= surplus is gone, even the commercial syrup.......

They've been selling all along, now they're out. They want to add 7 million taps. With supply of pipe in canada they will be lucky to hit 3mil by winter of '22 unless extra resin is released.

220 maple
11-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Fred,
The 50 million barrels of crude could be turned in plastic, therefore solving tubing shortage? The leader of the free world solves problems without even trying! Come on Man!
Mark 220 Maple

fred
11-27-2021, 03:45 PM
Lol. Yes that would make sense, but get the government involved.......................................

TapTapTap
11-27-2021, 04:40 PM
Lol. Yes that would make sense, but get the government involved.......................................

Fred,

Aside from DE and jugs, do you see any shortages looming?

Ken

johnallin
11-27-2021, 09:30 PM
Fred,

Aside from DE and jugs, do you see any shortages of looming? Ken

OK I give...what is looming?

Z/MAN
11-27-2021, 09:37 PM
OK I give...what is looming?

My supplier can't get glass. He was told they don't even know when they may start manufacturing again.

220 maple
11-27-2021, 10:53 PM
Yes, I have lost orders all summer, no Glass Cabins, now no Christmas Glass, supplier asked for them supply chain problems I guess!
You know we need to cut the use of tubing, made from crude oil, or natural gas. Both nasty fossil fuels, hang a wooden bucket with a metal spile, my mistake no metal spiles made from metal that was made by melting iron ore by burning coal, Proctor needs to step up and show leadership on how to increase production without miles of tubing and polycarbonate spiles? Come on Man!

DrTimPerkins
11-28-2021, 08:00 AM
Proctor needs to step up and show leadership on how to increase production without miles of tubing and polycarbonate spiles? Come on Man!

Easy…do it like squirrels. Climb to the upper branches, nip the bark with your teeth, wait for the sap to flow and dry into sugar crystals by the sun, then lick it up. No plastic - no metal - no fire - no glass. Very “green.”

What other questions you got? :lol:

Sugar Bear
11-28-2021, 09:13 PM
After the leader of the free world released 50 million barrels of crude oil to try and lower gas prices, I guess you Canucks just could not stand it and released 50 million pounds of syrup. The price of syrup was getting to high? Too Funny
Mark 220 Maple

Would it be reasonable to say that syrup with a "Product of Canada" on it like the stuff on the shelf at TJ's is very possibly any number of years old?

fred
11-28-2021, 09:18 PM
fred,

aside from de and jugs, do you see any shortages of looming?

Ken

i dont have many shortages. When things started to go backwards i was ordering more. I have most of what my customers in ohio and i need. Sounds like your dealers dropped the ball.

Manufacturing never stopped, but it might have gotten slow. Problem is 90% comes from over seas so there's the whole California b.s. Regulations that are stopping the trucks from coming into the state and hauling out containers. Im buying containers of glass from europe at an 8 month advance and plastic jugs 13-18 months out. Its very trying times but i pray the worst is almost behind us!!!!!

TapTapTap
11-29-2021, 05:35 AM
i dont have many shortages. When things started to go backwards i was ordering more. I have most of what my customers in ohio and i need. Sounds like your dealers dropped the ball.

Manufacturing never stopped, but it might have gotten slow. Problem is 90% comes from over seas so there's the whole California b.s. Regulations that are stopping the trucks from coming into the state and hauling out containers. Im buying containers of glass from europe at an 8 month advance and plastic jugs 13-18 months out. Its very trying times but i pray the worst is almost behind us!!!!!

Our dealers are working hard for us here in Vermont!!

I guess our dealers grabbed that ball and took the matter into their own hands. We have one dealer here that bought a labeling machine and ordered 3 tractor trailer loads of plastic jugs that were available but only without labels. Apparently, a main supply chain problem is lack of labor to install labels which is very labor intensive. You see it sounds like figuring out solutions (rather than hoard buying and blaming regulations in CA) gets better results for us consumers.

I also understand that the dealers are limiting purchases of DE to prevent hoarding.

Ken

Michael Greer
11-30-2021, 09:02 AM
Strategic supply or no, I'm raising my price this year. Glass has gone up, fuel, electricity, and food too. Firewood can't be far behind and labor is more difficult than ever. It's a luxury product, created by people who often work like slaves...it SHOULD be expensive!

bill m
11-30-2021, 07:42 PM
I don't think we should ever be calling pure maple syrup a "luxury product". It is a premium product that is expensive to produce but should never be considered a "luxury.

ecp
12-01-2021, 08:54 AM
Easy…do it like squirrels. Climb to the upper branches, nip the bark with your teeth, wait for the sap to flow and dry into sugar crystals by the sun, then lick it up. No plastic - no metal - no fire - no glass. Very “green.”

What other questions you got? :lol: I must say I love the answer Dr. Perkins. It does create another question for me though. Were do I take a course on training an army of Squirrels?:lol: If we can training them have you worked out a way to train them to leave the tubing alone?;)

DrTimPerkins
12-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Were do I take a course on training an army of Squirrels?:lol: If we can training them have you worked out a way to train them to leave the tubing alone?;)

Start with training young children and then work your way down to dogs, cats, then squirrels.