PDA

View Full Version : maple seeds

lafite
10-25-2021, 08:58 AM
I've lived in the same location for 16 years. I have never seen the amount of sugar maple seeds that have fallen than this year. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Calycanthus
10-30-2021, 11:15 AM
I've noticed high seed rates for maple species (sugar, silver, red, box elder) as well as hickory, walnut, red bud, black locust, and kousa and flowering dogwood. I have not noticed large crops from oak, elm, or beech. nor from ash, but i sorta put them in a category of their own due to other issues.

It's hard to say more than ever, because our minds are clued in to process the recent and forget the past.

lafite
04-24-2022, 07:47 AM
absolutely inundated with maple saplings....maybe I can sell them....people will buy anything...lol

DrTimPerkins
04-24-2022, 08:59 AM
How was your sap sugar content this year in relation to previous years?

lafite
04-24-2022, 01:58 PM
I was close to average. 1.9-2.5% Feb 10th to March 11th in southern CT.

lafite
04-24-2022, 01:59 PM
is there a correlation from the amount of seeds which dropped?

DrTimPerkins
04-24-2022, 02:38 PM
A connection has been suggested and one analysis (a rather dubious one) found a negative association, but I don’t put much stock in that piece of work. The researchers estimated sap sugar content from syrup production. A better analysis is on my list for this year.

SeanD
04-24-2022, 06:36 PM
A connection has been suggested and one analysis (a rather dubious one) found a negative association, but I don’t put much stock in that piece of work. The researchers estimated sap sugar content from syrup production. A better analysis is on my list for this year.

Thanks for reviving this thread. I think it's good to return with result when we speculate on cause/effect. I had a slightly heavier than normal seed year and my sap averaged 2.0% until the final week when it dropped to 1.7%. That's typical for me. Curiously, some trees produced a lot of seeds and others not so much. It wasn't a wide-spread year of seeds. FWIW.