PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Milk Tank Refrigeration Repair - Paul Mueller Tank

Urban Sugarmaker
09-26-2021, 05:36 PM
I just bought a used 300 gallon Paul Mueller bulk dairy tank with refrigeration. The seller had intended to use it for cider but changed plans. He claimed the condenser/compressor unit worked when he bought it but he never used it.

Can this be salvaged or am I in for a big expensive project? I would love to add refrigeration to my arsenal if it's possible to resurrect this.

Anyone here know anything about getting this to work again? Info on the internet is limited with regard to these tanks. Or maybe I just don't know where to look.

Pdiamond
09-26-2021, 07:41 PM
Is there any local dairy producers around you. Talking with them might at least put you in touch with repair facilities that could look at the tank. I have also got a tank however none of the compressor or fan came with it.

minehart gap
09-26-2021, 08:43 PM
As far as information, simply contact Mueller. They emailed me all of the tech manuals for my tank, compressor and auto washer.

As far as the tank, you will have to have nitrogen put in the lines (do not fill with air) which means that you might as well put everything where you want it and braze the lines back together.

For the compressor and unit: the nitrogen (if everything hooked back together) will tell you if there are any leaks. compressor will need power and freon to tell if it works. At least that is what my son did when putting mine back together. Make sure that you get the correct freon. From what I hear, compressors do not typically go bad from setting around, contactors do, and if the lines we not capped they may need help.

Good luck, it will change how you make syrup

collinsmapleman2012
09-27-2021, 07:12 AM
if you're in Rochester maybe ask Finger lakes dairy service, they could have some insight. the setup service call will probably be expensive wherever you go though.

GeneralStark
09-27-2021, 10:05 AM
I set up a 410 gallon Sunset tank in the spring. I had the local delaval dairy service do the work which included installing lines between the tank and compressor, charging with refrigerant and testing. I was very lucky in that the decades old equipment was in good shape and only required a new filter. It had been working until three months prior to me purchasing it.

The refrigerant and labor (2 techs for 5 hours) were the big ticket items and the final bill was close to $1500...

The unfortunate reality is that you can't really assess the total functionality of the whole system without hooking it all up, charging it with refrigerant, and running it. A dairy or refrigeration technician can likely look it over and give a sense of whether or not it is worth it, but you'll likely have to spend a good bit of $$$ to even know if it will work.

But yeah, total game changer if you can get it to work so its definitely worth the $ and effort IMO.

Urban Sugarmaker
09-28-2021, 07:01 AM
Thanks everyone. I got what Mueller had for documentation which has been helpful. Now I realize the challenge is where to put my tank. I'm going to have to hire a tech to come out and do the testing and charging anyway so I think I'm probably in for the same $$ as GeneralStark.

What are some ways it's changed the game for making syrup? For me, I work out of town so I was thinking this would buy me the time and flexibility I need and want.

BAP
09-29-2021, 06:37 AM
First thing I would do before committing too much money into this project is to get someone to come and do a pressure test of the bulk tank gas lines to make sure that the cooling plates don’t have a leak. That is the most common downfall of bulk tanks and is almost virtually impossible to find anyone willing to repair. I know because we had one do that for milk production and ended up having to replace it. If it holds gas, then move onto checking out the compressor. Make sure when you set the tank up, it is on a good solid, level surface to keep from twisting when full and breaking the refrigeration plates.

Shaun
09-29-2021, 10:04 AM
If the lines on the compressor have been open to atmosphere the oil likes to collect water. The "right" way to do it is pull a vacuum and charge with dry nitrogen for storage, then pull a vacuum to charge the system. If the oil is contaminated with water it might be difficult to pull a vacuum to under 500 Microns. That said when my system was unhooked I pinched the copper shut with pliers and soldered it closed. It pulled down to under 200 Microns when the tech did the refrigeration work and seem to work fine last year. Time will tell, always a gamble with old equipment.