PDA

View Full Version : Time to Tap

Sugarmaker
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Folks,
Everyone always wonders when to tap. Well this is how we decide:)

Last year I posted pictures of slices of a maple that had to be cut down.
I cut sections from the tapping area and several maple traders and others became the proud owners of a piece of maple history.
Since then one of my friends and fellow sugarmaker, Frank O. James saw the triangle shaped maple blocks and asked to get a couple to play with. The results are in these pictures. These are the second and third clocks that he has built. The first one is hanging in the sugarhouse:) Two for these also have new vertical holes drilled in the angled sides to accept some antique spiles for show.

This tree was about 3 feet across when cut and was a sapling during the Civil War. Widest growth ring was about 20 years ago and was almost .25 inch wide. This tree has taps of various shapes and sizes made by brace and bit and twist drill. The wood is about 1 inch thick. The est was 400 taps or more during its life time?? This was a 4 bucket tree. The tree was from Wellsburg about 1.5 miles from my house. It is currently heating our house.

A lot of the tap marks that you see are really the stains above and below the tap hole running vertically in the tree. On several 'taps' if you turn the clock over you can see the same exact tap mark on the back of the clock.

These beautiful clocks will not let us forget when its "Time to Tap".

Chris

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Sugarmakerthat looks very nice and it is a great idea did you make it or have some one else make it

Sugarmaker
01-13-2008, 08:37 PM
James,
A sugarmaker friend of mine Frank James made them. And although these did not require super wood working skills, this guy is a master craftsman. He builds guitars and mandolins, and muzzleloader rifles when he's resting.

Chris

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
well right now in school im taking wood shop and im making a sign it has a big maple leaf then is say below it maple syruo for sale here it not done yet but it looks very good so far i will post some pic's of it when it is done

Sugarmaker
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
James,
Thats a great project! Every sugarhouse should have one of those.
Chris

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 08:46 PM
well i got the idea from here

gmcooper
01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Chris
Very nice those clocks! Great idea to show a bit of history.

I did see a slice finished one year that had historical years with a pins and history note for various years. It had a lot of taps over the years for sure. Always wanted to do one here but never seen to get around to it.
Mark

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 08:59 PM
well i would make one but we started tapping are tree's 3 years ago and there is not much history there cuz they have never been tapped before

GOwin
01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
those are very nice clocks! good work chris!

jemsklein
01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
yah so worked on my sign again today and got most of the letters done it looks really good