PDA

View Full Version : small evaporator on a wood floor?

mason smith
01-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Has anybody tried running a 2 x 4 evaporator in an open shed with a wooden floor? I have been boiling on a home-made rig based on a woodstove in this building for years, but now have a Leader Vermont 2 x 4 arch and pan. I have been thinking I could safely set it on a 4" or 8" concrete block base, with appropriate insulation from the wood floor, and draw the ashes out the draft-door, or raise the arch on a rim of smaller bricks for an ash pit. Am I nuts? Boiling sessions will not be prolonged, with 60 taps or so. Would appreciate experienced advice.

Brent
01-13-2008, 10:56 AM
that unit sounds like it's a bit more than my Half Pint that I used for two seasons. We heat our house with wood as well as run the Half Pint. I am just about to get a new 2x6 and will be putting it in a shed with a wooden floor.

IF ... BIG IF I decide the floor can take the load I will put some patio stone
about 20" square under each leg, then get some cement board to cover everything under it, with about a 2' apron at the front. Then lay even more cement board directly on the wood and under / overlapping the raised cement board. The air gap under the cement board created by the patio stones will give me all the peace of mind I need.

The wood stove that heats the house is installed for proper clearance, but through the winter I put some cement boards against the log walls for added safety. I stand them on bricks on the bottom and keep a chip between them and the wall at the top allowing about a 1" gap and air flow. The walls are cool behind the cement board and cool is safe. I expect the same under the cement board under the evaporator.

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 12:22 PM
as long as you have it insulated proberly it should be fine

325abn
01-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a 2x4 oil fired on a wood floor. No problems!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-13-2008, 03:28 PM
As long as the floor supports it, you should be fine. I would put a couple of of 1" ceramic blanket underneath it.

HHM-07
01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
i have a 2x4 leader also it is on a wood floor with cement board under the whole thing , then set on 8" cement blocks my ashes gon only into the ashpan then removed tru the ashpan door works well i have boiled for up tp 9 hrs with no over heating, should be fine

Dick @ Hobby Hill Maples

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
you could even stick a little fan under it to blow the heat off and heat up your wooden shed but turn it off when you open the door

maple flats
01-13-2008, 05:01 PM
2 years ago i had my 2x6 on a wood floor. On the floor I put a platform of 12" concrete blocks, set a heavy sheet of tin over the blocks and then the arch on that. This platform only went under the fire end, was about 8" wider on each side and extended about 30" in front to catch any sparks. The part directly under the fire was not oversized. This worked for me and our fire dept requires an inspection for fire safety, it passed their standards. With my 3x8 I now have concrete under the evap. The wood was never intended to be permanent, it just got me to where I was able to pour the concrete. As far as the wood, I have my own sawmill and thus the wood was quick and cheap and I did not have to pour cement with frost in the ground. I did however with the wood, need to go under the floor and add 2 jack posts to keep the evap perfectly level from a footer underneath. Before I did this there was a barely detectable slight movement when people walked around the sugarhouse.