PDA

View Full Version : so how big is your biggest tree

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 10:16 AM
so i was out in the bush today for a walk and found a very big maple it is 15 feet around and 5 feet in diameter and i was wondering doas any one else have a tree this big or bigger

ennismaple
01-13-2008, 01:28 PM
We've got a few 3-man trees - meaning it takes 3 men to get their arms around it. They're maybe 3.5 to 4 feet in diameter. Our trees are generally no more than 130 years old because all the "old growth" trees were cut when the land was cleared by the first settlers in our area back in the 1860's and 1870's.

MaplePancakeMan
01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
i have one tree that must be about 5ft in diameter shes quite big but i think i might lose her due to a rotted branch that streaks down to the trunk. i have to sit down and figure a way to either save her or cut her down cause her two sides will take out or damage 4 trees on either side. (all maples) Any ideas?

mountainvan
01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I have one on the mountain that I call general sherman. It is 5 ft+ wide and 100 ft+ tall. As far as I know I am the first person to tap this tree.

tapper
01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
What kind of sap volume and sugar content are you guys getting out of these big trees?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Just to help anyone in how to measure diameter on a large tree, measure circumference and then divide it by 3.14

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 08:18 PM
well i have about 5 taps in that tree and i get about 5-8 liters of syrup from the one tree but the crown is huge nothing grows under it with in a hundred feet

Valley View Sugarhouse
01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
How far are you from VT?? I have experience in climbing take downs and I probabley could piece it down for you..

Andy

the old guy
01-17-2008, 08:39 PM
We Found 7 Trees Around An Old House Spot. Each Of Them Has A Diameter Of About 45-50 Inches. We Are Not Sure How They Will Run But Other Trees In The Area Produce Sugar Content Sap Of 2 To 2.4 % Sugar. Let You Know How They Do!

The Old Guy

MaplePancakeMan
01-18-2008, 10:30 PM
depends on where in VT you are i'm about 3hrs from the southern border. So quite a ways.

MaplePancakeMan
01-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Here is a picture of the tree this one is the only one i have on the computer right now. I'll take a better shot of the weak spot but you can kinda see it in the middle.
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/t/TheShovler3/45.jpg

Upward view from the good side

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/t/TheShovler3/47.jpg

and as you can see on the back side there is a weakness as well.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/t/TheShovler3/46.jpg

I hate to lose her, but she'll take out the six trees to the left and probably the two to the right even though they are a decent distance away if i don't drop her down. any suggestions. She gives me 3% sugar and on a food flowing run i collect all 4 4gallon pails full or nearly full every day and then some.

think i can save her or is she a goner?

tapper
01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
I tap an old wolfy tree that looks way worse than that one. I have a hard time finding live wood to tap. It gives up a lot of sap but it is an old woods tree on someone elses property that wont hurt much if it does fall. Maybe if you could tie the large upper trunks together with cable and turnbuckles you might be able to get another lifetime out of it. A good sap producer out in the open I sure would try something like that.

H. Walker
01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
MaplePancakeMan, how many taps do you have on that tree??

Conventional standards say 4 taps max.

Modern standards say if a tree is under stress 2 taps max.

MaplePancakeMan
01-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Tapper, Who or where would i contact for a job like that? a tree service?

H. Walker, I had 6 in there but 3 were tapped really early and had already started closing if you up if you can imagine, so i tossed a couple more up toward the end to try and make up for my losses. There is still a log of good wood on the tree. The previous two years i had only 3 in the tree. This year i'll probably only put 2 or three as well. i'd have to say that i didn't know only 2 taps per tree that is showing stress thanks for the info

HHM-07
01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
mpm
I would keep it i've seen trees that look a lot worse, you would be suprised they will be here when we are gone. keep colecting that sweet sap from her

Dick @ Hobby Hill Maples

MaplePancakeMan
01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
So if i'm going to keep her, would you recommend cutting the dead trunk out of the middle or should i leave it as it is... and let nature take its course of action?

tapper
01-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Yes you could talk to a tree service about tying the upper trunks together and removing the dead wood as well. The only problem with removing the dead wood is that it leaves a void for further rot to start. A tree service co. may have a solution to that though.

jemsklein
01-19-2008, 05:45 PM
yah i would justy leave it i got a tree that is 13 feet around and we have to chop it down in the summer this wind storm we just had droped all of it branches i will post some pic's soon

gmcooper
01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
We have a neighbor that has a huge red maple on front lawn that was kind of going 3 directions One headed for the house, one the garage, and the other would take out power lines. Lucas Tree service came cut out some junk wood and limbs. Then they cabled it together 15-20 high. No kidding that tree has been putting out new growth and really looking good after 6-8 years.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-19-2008, 07:53 PM
keep tapping like you are and it will fall over. it will look like swiss cheese

RICH

maplecrest
01-19-2008, 08:35 PM
keep tapping the tree,i have alot of trees over 150 years old that look worse than yours. i put one or two taps in each tree. let good old mother nature take its corse. if a leader falls, you have firewood,if you lose a tree it was too close, you have others. remember 15 feet in diameter around each future production tree. sounds good but a lot of work to clean the woods like that for room to crown out

MaplePancakeMan
01-19-2008, 08:56 PM
thanks guys, i'll have to stop on my way home and take a picture of the biggest maple i have seen in my entire life thus far. It looks like i could park a car on the base of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

jemsklein
01-20-2008, 07:07 PM
well here is the link to the pic of the tree that just dropped all of its branches
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jemsklein1116/sugar%20bush/?action=view&current=Picture029.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jemsklein1116/sugar%20bush/?action=view&current=Picture029.jpg)
the 2 big braches and the one standing up to the right are about 2 feet in diameter
this tree is 13 feet around or 4.5 feet in diameter and i only got a 18 inch chain saw
what do i do

jemsklein
02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
well that tree that dropped all of its branches and is 3.5' in diameter it took me 30 min with my chain saw to stick it in the middle and walk all the way around the wind blew it over cuz it was sitting on its own stump but it was realy dead cuz when it hit the ground the log broke in half but out of my brother and dad i have cut down the biggest tree but i will post some pic's next weekend when i have time to get back there

p.s i counted the ringes it is 100 years old some of the rings had a 3/4 space between them

MR Electrician
02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
well that tree that dropped all of its branches and is 3.5' in diameter it took me 30 min with my chain saw to stick it in the middle and walk all the way around the wind blew it over cuz it was sitting on its own stump but it was realy dead cuz when it hit the ground the log broke in half but out of my brother and dad i have cut down the biggest tree but i will post some pis next weekend when i have time to get back there

p.s i counted the ringes it is 100 years old some of the rings had a 3/4 space between them

i for one have had eneough of you posting pis in yr diapers so james please post some pix for the nice people of maple trader land .
thanx yr dad:eek: :rolleyes:

Acer
12-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Just measured up my biggest, its 180" around at breast height. looks like it may have started as a double but the crotch is 8' high now.
Second biggest is 148" and a genuine single.

Both are a little ragged, but hanging in there.

Dean

jmbinventions
01-18-2009, 12:06 PM
My largest tree is 2.5 feet in diameter. It is a silver maple though, so lower sugar content but I think it makes up for it by volume produces 5 gallons off of 2 taps in two days.

Logscaler
01-20-2009, 12:59 PM
We have a field edge tree that measures 4' in diameter. Feb 08 the sugar tested at 5%. I mentioned this to our local Cooperative Extension forester (who is also a sugar maker) and he told me that the sugar content can rise dramatically in a tree that is on its way out. I did notice that the crown of this tree is thinnig a little bit more every year.