PDA

View Full Version : Do 2" drum bung threads seal?

Arctic Fox
07-27-2021, 01:14 PM
I'm considering using a SS drum to drain my 2x4 back pan into on cold nights. My question is, are there enough threads on the 2" bung to seal to a threaded ball valve? The bungs don't look like they have a lot of thread engagement. If threaded connections won't seal, are there other recommendations?

Aaron Stack
07-27-2021, 05:24 PM
I needed distance, but I ended up getting a Banjo nipple to connect the ball valve to the bung. Sealed it up with pipe tap and no leaks.

Arctic Fox
07-27-2021, 05:39 PM
From the picture it looks like you're using plastic drums. While the number of threads per bung may be very similar, I'm thinking sealing SS threads may be more difficult.

ennismaple
07-30-2021, 10:45 AM
I'm considering using a SS drum to drain my 2x4 back pan into on cold nights. My question is, are there enough threads on the 2" bung to seal to a threaded ball valve? The bungs don't look like they have a lot of thread engagement. If threaded connections won't seal, are there other recommendations? Worst case if there's a small leak you put a container below to catch the drips overnight. Not ideal but you won't lose anything.

bill m
07-31-2021, 07:08 AM
The threads will seal fine. Use pipe tape on it and you should not have a problem.

Arctic Fox
02-27-2022, 02:11 PM
Threads did seal fine once I taped them up. This is so much easier than using 5 gallon buckets to drain my back pan into on cold nights.