PDA

View Full Version : Wire Twisters

ldick
06-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Looking to get wire tie twister for installing mainline. Thinking I would like one for a power drill. Anyone have any experience with those and do they work OK?

darkmachine
06-21-2021, 03:14 PM
never used one on a drill but my step dad made one, just used a hook from the hardware store, looks too easy to over tighten or break the ties to me. I've had better success with the "manual" twist tie, last year i splurged and bought an "automatic" tie twister, I like it the best by far. Just bend on the tie, one pull up and done.

mainebackswoodssyrup
06-21-2021, 03:39 PM
I really like the CDL auto twister we have that darkmachine is probably referring to. I'm sure they all make one. I would think with a drill you would spend more time trying to go slow as to not break the ties than its worth. Plus the weight.......I'd try the auto twister first.

TapTapTap
06-21-2021, 05:11 PM
last year i splurged and bought an "automatic" tie twister, I like it the best by far. Just bend on the tie, one pull up and done.

They are the best I've used and I'll bet as fast as any device. I'd avoid carrying around a cordless drill in the bush.
Ken

ldick
06-21-2021, 07:30 PM
I’ve done thousands with auto twister and they do work well. Just Looking for something better as my old joints and muscles just aren’t what they used to be.

TapTapTap
06-21-2021, 07:49 PM
I’ve done thousands with auto twister and they do work well. Just Looking for something better as my old joints and muscles just aren’t what they used to be.

My joints and muscles beg me not to carry my cordless drill around the woods.

ecp
06-22-2021, 07:13 AM
if you are looking for ease and speed look at the Maxx twin tie gun. I'm sure a lot of people don't like the price but it is like and RO once you get there you will not come back.

collinsmapleman2012
06-22-2021, 07:25 AM
i built one, justbought a $5 manual twister from lowes and cut the end off. mounted it in a drill, it works ok but you have to have it set just right so you dont snap the tie. after a while i found that its decent for lower mainlines but as soon as you have something above your shoulders its a pain and its not nearly as fast as you would think since it takes more coordination to hook ties. probably better off with the "automatic " ones, they seem to tie really nice as well.

darkmachine
06-27-2021, 02:33 PM
I wondered weather one of those MAXX guns would work on mainline. I've seen them used for concrete work and they work great for that. As far as the price they are in the same group of items as a spin-seal machine, great if you have loads of mainline to hang, but for a small job the cost isn't worth it. That being said if you are dealing with any kind of age or health limitation, and a tool like that keeps you out making syrup it's probably worth it :) You could always rent it out when you weren't using it, lol.

bill m
06-29-2021, 07:02 PM
I have 3 of the dewalt 8 volt screw drivers model #DCF682N1 that I use for installing wire ties. I made my own bits out of long 1/4 hex drive phillips bits with the stepped down shank. One of the best investments I have made for installing mainline. There is a learning curve with them but they work great.

Brien
11-18-2021, 08:31 PM
you could look into a rebar tying battery powered gun. Big bucks though

TapTapTap
11-19-2021, 05:11 AM
you could look into a rebar tying battery powered gun. Big bucks though

As I've said earlier in this post, think light weight and simple for tools you need to carry in the woods. Ii don't see any advantage to carrying a heavy tool to eliminate a simple task using a tool that weighs just a small fraction of the spare battery you'll need to carry for the power tool.

ecp
11-19-2021, 07:48 AM
As I've said earlier in this post, think light weight and simple for tools you need to carry in the woods. Ii don't see any advantage to carrying a heavy tool to eliminate a simple task using a tool that weighs just a small fraction of the spare battery you'll need to carry for the power tool.

Quick answer to that one would be time is the advantage. I can tie pipe as the same speed I walk though the woods (except when changing the role of course haha). 2 weekends ago I went to tie up 4000 feet of pipe starting at 8:00. it sure was nice being in the house by 11:30 for lunch.

TapTapTap
11-19-2021, 05:07 PM
Quick answer to that one would be time is the advantage. I can tie pipe as the same speed I walk though the woods (except when changing the role of course haha). 2 weekends ago I went to tie up 4000 feet of pipe starting at 8:00. it sure was nice being in the house by 11:30 for lunch.

Ok. I vote for the cordless rebar tie tool. Sorry Brien, I tried to save you a few bucks. You can always start a concrete construction business after you buy the tool.

Ken

bmead
11-30-2021, 11:25 AM
Max twintier 441t is the ultimate answer. I can tie 2-3000 feet per hour. The price is a bit of a set back and I presume will keep most producers, especially small producers from going that route. for an installer like me it is a no brainer.

Jason Gagne
11-30-2021, 06:28 PM
I agree! I love my Max tier too. I’ve owned one for 8 years, take good care of it and it will last a long time.

collinsmapleman2012
12-01-2021, 07:31 AM
I agree! I love my Max tier too. I’ve owned one for 8 years, take good care of it and it will last a long time.

what wire are you using? is there a galvanized/ss option for tie wire on these?

ecp
12-01-2021, 08:40 AM
i use the Galvanized wire for the twin tier it works great. Nobody stocks the SS option in my area and its about 3 times the price.

bmead
12-01-2021, 10:08 AM
I use their galvanized wire, there is a ss option however its 3 times the cost and hard to get. I have wire that's been out 8+ years with no issues yet

TapTapTap
12-02-2021, 05:51 AM
They also make a PVC coated wire. I don't know what it cost.