PDA

View Full Version : Open tap holes......

Jim in Clarkston
06-11-2021, 06:59 AM
When should tap holes close up?
I have numerous trees with tap holes that have not closed.
They remain fully open 5/16" x 1 1/2" to 2" deep.
After two years should I be filling them to keep bugs out?

220 maple
06-11-2021, 07:19 AM
They just close at the opening, there will always be a hole in the tree forever! I have a section of a tree that the wind tipped out in 2000, by counting the growth rings I could see where the tree was tapped in 1933, this tree broke so I could see the inside of two holes, both holes are 3/4 inch drilled the same year. Most certainly one bucket on a nail catching sap from both holes. I been told that trees heal slower the further you go north in America, all about the growing season, In West Virginia I've pulled spiles in March and have pictures of holes almost closed by mid May.

Mark 220 Maple

Jim in Clarkston
06-11-2021, 07:27 AM
Thanks Mark
My holes however are just as I drilled them, no change except for discoloration. No closure at all. So if they remain open after a few years, should I fill them and with what?

ennismaple
06-11-2021, 10:43 AM
If they remain fully open after a couple of years the tree is in poor condition and not growing very fast. If you're looking at this year's tapholes they will still be mostly open. 2020 tapholes should be at least 50% closed by now.

There is never a need to plug tapholes with a foreign substance.

Super Sapper
06-11-2021, 10:47 AM
The holes do not fill in but grow over the hole. The larger the tree the longer it seems to cover the hole. Do not ever put anything in the hole.

Pdiamond
06-11-2021, 08:39 PM
It will eventually close up sometimes it just takes longer. It depends on the tree some of mine close quickly and some you can still see last years hole. I have one tree in the yard that will close up by next year and make it tough to tell where the previous tap was.

220 maple
06-13-2021, 05:07 AM
Pdiamond,
There are some West Virginia producers that have many trees that close like you yard tree, they sometimes put a paint dot when pulling taps so they don’t get near the hole when drilling the next year.
Mark 220 Maple

DrTimPerkins
06-14-2021, 09:05 AM
Taphole closure (over the outside, as others have said, the hole does not fill in) is primarily dependent upon tree growth rate, which can vary considerably from tree-tree and from season-season. That said, closure with 5/16" spouts should take only a couple of years at most. 7/16" tapholes will be a year or two longer. Note that you can often see the mark on the bark for a long time....many years, but this is not a problem...rather is a good things since you can tell to NOT put a taphole in that spot again for a while (until the tree has grown about 2" of wood overtop the hole).