PDA

View Full Version : automatic draw off

Brent
01-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I've just given Patrick and order for a new 2x6 evap and now my attention is going to details. One we are considering is a Marcland auto draw off.

First part of the question is how many of you guys have them, still use them and think they are worth the investment. ??

I can see days when I will want to leave the sugar shack to go fetch sap and think this might give me more freedom to do this.

Second part: is it worth the upgrade to the barometric compensated to avoid the boiling of straight water to set it up ???

I will be adding an automatic pressure relief valve after the pressure guage and a line to dump back into the unfiltered syrup, set it at maybe 40 lbs
and when the plates start to load up, some will still pass through and some will dump back, without rupturing the paper.

maplehound
01-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Brent,
I use one on my 3x8 and wouldn't be without it. On several occasions I have stepped out of the sugarhouse for one reason or another and returned ot find a bucket full of syrup that drew when I wasn't looking. I however still wouldn't go to far away. To me though it wouldn't be worth the monet for a barometic componsated one. I always stay close by for the first draws and check density with my hydrometer and adjust draw off temp. to compensate. It never seems to me to draw at the right temp. At times I may draw off at 220 and the next day at 235. It always seems to come off hotter than I would thick it should that is why I check it with my hydrometer every start up and several times through the day.

Mike
01-12-2008, 03:16 PM
One of the big sugar makers here draws off 2-3 degrees early..Says its still cooking in the draw off bucket and will keep you from making thick syrup.........His first draws a bucket full and dumps it in the back pan.....Says it helps even the sugar thru the pans......Make better syrup this way.....Tghis guy made 300, 55 gal barrels last yr.........

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-12-2008, 04:43 PM
if i have a fire in the arch i dont stray out of the building. its way to dangerous

RICH

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Mike,

Does he dump every day into the back pan??

Brent
01-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Rich

Last year my wife went south during the run. I had 80 taps out and a Leader Half Pint. Lit the fire a 6:30 ish every morning ... before coffee in my jammies if you can believe it. Paid attention for a few hours then had to go to the bush for about 45 minutes for sap. Did that all day. Put in the last wood when the 11:00 new started. Ten days in a row. Shopped for groceries 20 km away at the 24 hour store ... about 1:30 am a couple times.

gotta do whatcha gotta do

This year new 2x6 evap coming with hoods and preheater.
180 to 250 buckets.
Putting the evap inside instead of on the porch. Gonna be just like a real sugar shack.
1300+ gallons of storage and hopefully a wife for backup.

MR Electrician
01-12-2008, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=Brent;37267]Rich

Shopped for groceries 209 miles away at the 24 hour store ... about 1:30 am a couple times.

hey brett you gotta fix that typo i mean i live in peterborough and its less than a 209 mile drive to your house
must have ment 2.9 or 29 miles.
right

Brent
01-12-2008, 08:47 PM
yup should have been 20 km away.

brookledge
01-12-2008, 10:23 PM
brent
I have one and love it. I got low level and high temp alarm also with it. Both of those extra features have save me from disaster. I boil at 140GPH and when I'm running the level low it doesn't take long to have something go wrong. When I got mine a boilng temp chart came with it so I put a barometer in the sugarhouse. I will check the syrup to the hydrometer and then as the barometer goes up or down ajust the draw off temp accordinly.
I would also recomend that if you where using oil or gas to fire with then you go with the auto shut down if the system goes into alarm
Keith

Mike
01-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Brandon, I believe he does it every boil....He cleans his pans after every boil.........

MR Electrician
01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
brent i could build you one for $500

Brent
01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I saw your previous posts about building one. We could build one too.

Back in 1991 we started buying milling machine frames from Taiwan and putting CNC controls on in Canada. Made the whole panels, etc.
You can see some of our machines with Anilam CNC controls on the root of the web site listed below.

Looking back, they were awful, even though they worked, and customers made money with them and we were very proud of them at the time.

Since then I've learned to appreciate the expression "mature product".

I can pick up a Marcland for less than $ 700. It's a no brainer, but thanks for the offer.

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 05:51 PM
well this summer my dad whants to build one for use so but it would't hurt to experiment with it

Brent
01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
that's the time to do it. In the summer.

Bag of sugar, a few gallons on water.

Test boil in the kitchen

jemsklein
01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
yep thats are plan