PDA

View Full Version : IBC Totes - Agave/Mold

CTSap4Maple
05-17-2021, 12:18 PM
I picked up a few totes that held 100% organic blue agave syrup. The residue syrup rinsed out well with hot water with no smell. One of the totes had some mold spots on the bottom, so I rinsed that out first with HW, then added several gallons of clear HW. I then added some calcium hypochlorite and the water turned brown. Repeated about 30 min later and brown again. I ran out of Ca2, so will have to wait before I try again.

I know I need to keep rinsing til clear/no smell, but I haven’t seen Ca2 turn the water brown when cleaning tubing. Anyone encountered this? Thanks!

DrTimPerkins
05-18-2021, 07:29 AM
It is likely that you have iron (and/or other metals) in your well water (or whatever the source of your water). You add a strong oxidizing agent (calcium hypochlorite) and you get instant rust = brown or red-brown discoloration. You may be using too much bleach.

Also possible that you have some funky algae/mold in the tank causing it, but that should clear up fairly quickly. My guess is iron in the water.

CTSap4Maple
05-18-2021, 12:58 PM
Thanks Dr. Tim, your guess is correct! We are on a well and have had issues with iron- just didn’t make the connection here.

We use the same well water for washing maple equipment. Is there any issue with any off flavors cleaning with iron-heavy water? If so, I’ll get a better filter system from the well.

DrTimPerkins
05-19-2021, 07:29 AM
Is there any issue with any off flavors cleaning with iron-heavy water? If so, I’ll get a better filter system from the well.

Not that I am aware of or heard reports of. An RO system might not like it much.