PDA

View Full Version : Arch fire board

maxmaple
05-05-2021, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone.
I imagine most of you are all done with sugaring for 2021, but a few of us are planning for 2021. I am looking for 'arch board.' I prefer this board over that ceramic blanket for my new build but can't seem to find sellers. I am in Canada so if some of the Canadian maple enthusiasts on this site can provide a local source it would be appreciated. Please note that I am not opposed to buying from American suppliers but I can't travel across the board anytime soon, and can't access my American mail/carrier drop-off service. Maybe I can have it shipped directly to my Canadian address so American sources are welcomed.

Pdiamond
05-05-2021, 07:17 PM
I cannot help with the arch board. My question after having used it myself and now using ceramic blanket, is why would you prefer to use arch board over ceramic blanket. It's harder to work with and fit vs the blanket and I think it is not as good of an insulator under the firebrick.

maxmaple
05-05-2021, 08:32 PM
It seems to help hold the bricks in place for longer. My understanding is that the mortar acts as an adhesive to the arch board thus helping hold the bricks.

bill m
05-06-2021, 06:23 AM
Yes, you want to use the arch board under bricks not the blanket. The blanket will compress under the weight of the bricks and you will lose some of the insulating properties of the blanket.