PDA

View Full Version : New hobby evaporator recommendation

mgp141
05-05-2021, 12:52 PM
I’m presently using a barrel evaporator with a 14x 22 home made pan and yearning for a better evaporation rate. I tapped 35 trees this year on 3/16 lines but can do closer to 100 easily (gravity) and likely more. I’m looking for a new more efficient set up and thinking 18x48. Does anyone have any recommendation? Flue pan and syrup pan or flat pan etc? I think I’m leaning towards flue though don’t fully understand the operational differences (I.e. what to do with sap in flues when shutting down) I’d like to keep it Canadian if possible (been looking at cdl, thor, lappierre, online only, have not seen in person)

Thanks all.

tcross
05-05-2021, 01:54 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about Thor. i live just south of their facility in Cowansville Quebec. They are great to work with. i mainly worked with Barry Champainge. i have their bare bones 2.5'x8' raised flue. i get 60-65 gph boil rate. i have only seen, but not had any experience with the others you listed. they're probably similar, but i do know Thor makes a great product. when i was getting quotes, they were much cheaper than the others you listed (over a grand) and i can't seem to figure why they'd be that much cheaper. it was a no brainer for me. I would recommend getting a 2x4 or even a 2x6 if you're planning, or even contemplating growing your tap. as far as shutting down. just leave what you have for sap in you pans, in your pans... then add to it next boil. i try to make sure i flood my pans so everything can come to a hard boil, then let it die out.

Pdiamond
05-05-2021, 07:25 PM
I would say visit some of the maple suppliers in your area and talk with them. You could also visit some of the local producers the will be more than willing to talk maple and give you ideas. It's up to you whether you want a raised flue or drop flue pan and syrup pan rig or all in one. All depends on how much you want to spend and how big you want to grow. Make sure to keep it fun.

maxmaple
05-05-2021, 08:25 PM
I’m presently using a barrel evaporator with a 14x 22 home made pan and yearning for a better evaporation rate. I tapped 35 trees this year on 3/16 lines but can do closer to 100 easily (gravity) and likely more. I’m looking for a new more efficient set up and thinking 18x48. Does anyone have any recommendation? Flue pan and syrup pan or flat pan etc? I think I’m leaning towards flue though don’t fully understand the operational differences (I.e. what to do with sap in flues when shutting down) I’d like to keep it Canadian if possible (been looking at cdl, thor, lappierre, online only, have not seen in person)

Thanks all.

You got an equipment supplier down the road a bit from you in Bracebridge. He sells Lapierre but I haven't been to his shop yet because of COVID so not sure about his inventory and selection. Give CDL Atkinson on Hwy 11 a call. They got a sale going on throughout the month of May. Speak to Peter or Claude. I got 10% plus another 5% off a new 2x3 CDL flat pan just this week.

Bullet
05-06-2021, 09:36 AM
Just a word of advice. Do not get an 18" wide evaporator. I've found the firebox very small and does not create enough heat..........longer boiling time. I made that mistake and would advise to get a 24" wide evaporator, much more heat and therby evaporation. I've not had much luck with my 18" x 54". Had to cut 16" logs to allow it to fit and even then didn't get the boil up consistently due to the small firebox. To compensate I've purchased an RO due to the lack of efficiency of my evaporator. Would strongly look at Smoky Lake. More expensive and in the U.S, but in my opinion the best on the market. So its dollars vs quality!

maxmaple
05-06-2021, 12:05 PM
I was thinking of importing the Smoky Lake Corsair in 2x3 but the exchange rate and import taxes scared me off. There is a guy out in the Owen Sound gray bruce area making them. Looks like a pretty solid arch from a skilled welder. check out his Kijiji ad (https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/owen-sound/maple-syrup-evaporator/1529348962?rb=true&dc=true)

Sugar Bear
05-06-2021, 06:57 PM
I was thinking of importing the Smoky Lake Corsair in 2x3 but the exchange rate and import taxes scared me off. There is a guy out in the Owen Sound gray bruce area making them. Looks like a pretty solid arch from a skilled welder. check out his Kijiji ad (https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/owen-sound/maple-syrup-evaporator/1529348962?rb=true&dc=true)

When I bought my LEIGH dovetail jig from Canada I did not have to pay any taxes. In fact at the time of the purchase I noticed it would have cost me more to buy it in Canada even with the conversion rate factored in.

Pardon me ... But to this day I still do not understand the term NAFTA. The only thing I can figure is somebody was smoking something when that deal was made.

And I suppose it accounts for at least a portion of the 70 million.

BCPP
05-08-2021, 07:31 AM
We have a LaPierre mini. High quality. Made in Waterloo QC. Excellent service. Does about 10-15gal/hr. If you're ever down near Burlington / Oakville let me know and I'd be happy to show it to you.

DocsMapleSyrup
05-08-2021, 08:42 AM
The add shows a fully bricked arch. You will have a lot of warping that way. Ideally you would want 2" of ceramic blanket or board behind the brick and you only need to brick the fire box and put blanket in the rest of the evaporator. Also, I noticed the grates are angle iron that is turned down. If the angle iron was placed with the angle upward like "VVVVV" the angle fills with ash and doesn't warp as it will with the angles down. Just some things I noticed. Take it for what it's worth.

LMP Maple
05-09-2021, 07:14 PM
I have a mini-pro I would put the the evap rate at 12 per hour. My taps tend to fluctuate and for me the size has been good. I would tell you if you are positive on the tap count especially if you think you may go over 100 I would look at a 2X4. The Mini-pro is well made and a great rig but without an r/o and running that many taps you will be doing a lot of boiling. I just ordered a Nano RO for next year. For me the price of the R/O makes sense vs an upgrade in rig. I ran about 50 taps on 3/16th and felt buried last year hence the r/o need. If you like the 18 X 48 rig id get an R/O as well or just go bigger. My 2 cents. Mine is oil fired and boils well no problem maintaining boil etc. I draw off right from the rig, like the big guys, no finishing off elsewhere.

BSHC
05-10-2021, 11:13 AM
I have nothing but good things to say about Thor. i live just south of their facility in Cowansville Quebec. They are great to work with. i mainly worked with Barry Champainge. i have their bare bones 2.5'x8' raised flue. i get 60-65 gph boil rate. i have only seen, but not had any experience with the others you listed. they're probably similar, but i do know Thor makes a great product. when i was getting quotes, they were much cheaper than the others you listed (over a grand) and i can't seem to figure why they'd be that much cheaper. it was a no brainer for me. I would recommend getting a 2x4 or even a 2x6 if you're planning, or even contemplating growing your tap. as far as shutting down. just leave what you have for sap in you pans, in your pans... then add to it next boil. i try to make sure i flood my pans so everything can come to a hard boil, then let it die out.
I believe Barry Champagne and Thor are no longer affiliated. Thor isnt bad for the money. I would not even consider upgrading unless you are going to a flue pan. The added surface area makes a huge difference in evaporation. My preference would be raised flues.

Florence sap
05-10-2021, 07:01 PM
Yes sir bought 2*4 drop flue from Smokey lake past year has forced draft getting 53gallons evaporation rate out of cold sap

Bullet
05-10-2021, 09:10 PM
You got an equipment supplier down the road a bit from you in Bracebridge. He sells Lapierre but I haven't been to his shop yet because of COVID so not sure about his inventory and selection. Give CDL Atkinson on Hwy 11 a call. They got a sale going on throughout the month of May. Speak to Peter or Claude. I got 10% plus another 5% off a new 2x3 CDL flat pan just this week.

mgp141
05-11-2021, 07:52 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm looking at 2x4 now as a preference. I've have been quoted the 18x48 and 18x60 models from CDL. The price seems higher with less features than Thor. I'm still waiting to hear back on Thor and lapierre ( i already have a quote for lapiere 18x48 flat pan (the new vision line) which seemed pricey for flat pan but I need more info on it).

I'm also reaching out to that Kijiji add to see what his products are like.

Thanks for the thoughts thus far.

BSHC
05-13-2021, 08:55 AM
I think the new vision line is an airtight arch. Probably why is it expensive. We have the THor 20X68. with AUF I would say we comfortably average 25 US GPH evaporation. It is ideal for up to 200 taps. I think it would now be in the $5k neighborhood. It's old school cast front, I kinda wish it was airtight but we were concerned an airtight would not heat up the sugar house and we would need auxiliary heat. In hindsight it would have been fine, but airtight cost a lot more too. we all have limits we can spend. You originally said you can easily get 100 taps, which tells me it wont be long before you are at 150 or more.

Pdiamond
05-13-2021, 07:18 PM
I think you are going to want more than a flat pan for 100 taps. Something along the lines of a raised flue rear and front syrup pan in 2 x 4 or even 2 x 6 may be more what you are looking at. Have you checked out the classified ads on the maple trader? Unless you want something new, you may be able to pick up a very good used set-up because someone out grew theirs.

mgp141
06-01-2021, 08:04 PM
So I’ve got the Thor quote for 2x4 at about $5200 fully loaded (all stainless). I’m not sure if I can stomach that cost right now. The Kijiji guy sounds like he knows what he’s talking about and his 2x4 (2x3 and 2x1 both flat pans no dividers) is $2800. I asked about full bricking vs using some insulation and his thoughts are the insulation will hold the moisture and rust it out quicker. His flat pan setup does 13-15 gph. I was hoping to get to drawing off syrup or very near syrup from the evaporator but I don’t know how this takes place in an only flat pan configuration. I like his design with the legs raising it off the floor.

Lots of info it’s tough to make a decision here. I welcome any feedback.

maxmaple
06-02-2021, 08:37 AM
You have to ask yourself, are you going to get an evaporator that is two times better if you go with the Thor compared to the non-brand name Kijiji evaporator? I've been looking at the same 2x4 Kijiji evaporator as well, and I understand it may not be a perfect unit, but it is really good value for money. I like that he uses a thicker gauge sheet metal and cast iron door. I think he overcharges or overpays for the bricks - he told me he was paying almost $5 per brick. You can buy the same bricks at Simcoe Building supplies, also just down the road from you in Bracebridge for under $3 each.

mgp141
06-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Ya for sure, I forgot to mention that I looked at a Thor 18x54 arch and the quality was ok but not perfect, like some open welds for example on the front of the arch, this was a showroom model. The Kijiji guy likes to sell his fully bricked and mortared too which creates some issues for me transporting to my sugar shack (down steep hill in my bush) but that’s a separate issue. I hope to see one of his in the summer. Lapierre dealer hasn’t returned my call a few times now so I’m not confident I’d get support if I needed it.

BSHC
06-03-2021, 08:20 AM
20*68 Thor will easily meet your requirement for under $5k.. I would guess if the flat setup claims 13-15 GPH that is under ideal conditions with clean pans. Likely run 10 GPH most days. In comparison I can get 30 GPH on clean pans for an hour or so but realistic average is 25GPH over the course of a day. Personally after having a raised flue I could not see investing 2/3 the money into a flat pan set up.
This season we made 420 liters/425 taps on the little 20*68 with AUF but no RO. That was a little too much, looking for RO for next year and going to 500 Taps.
Whatever you buy i would try to order soon to ensure delivery for next winter.