PDA

View Full Version : Using sap ladder with Guzzler double diaphragm vacuum pump

seanbutler
05-04-2021, 02:22 PM
I'm contemplating installing a few sap ladders, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if they will work with a Guzzler double diaphragm vacuum pump. Right now, I have one of these pumps adding vacuum to about 1000 taps, 700 of which are on 3/16 laterals. Our vacuum is typically between 20 and 25", but these pumps are low CFM pumps, and I read that hey need to be high CFM to get sap ladders to work. Does anyone have any experience using a sap ladder with a diaphragm pump?

Thanks,
Sean

maple flats
05-04-2021, 04:57 PM
Everything I've heard about using sap ladders with any diaphragm pump is that they don't work.

DrTimPerkins
05-05-2021, 08:14 AM
Everything I've heard about using sap ladders with any diaphragm pump is that they don't work.

Agreed....results are typically less than satisfactory.

BAP
05-06-2021, 06:35 AM
That’s not true Dave. They can work if you are able to pull good vacuum and don’t overload your system. But, they don’t work as good as having a true vacuum pump with higher CFMs to keep the flow moving faster. I have a 4008 Shurflo pump and can pull 2 lines up 9 feet over a roadway that I need to keep open to access my back lot. It is probably not quite as good as having the higher CFMs, but it does work.

DrTimPerkins
05-06-2021, 07:30 AM
They can work if you are able to pull good vacuum and don’t overload your system.

Yes...if you keep a really tight systems and it is not overloaded a ladder can work on a guzzler. However the OP has 1,000 taps on a double-diaphragm Guzzler. These units are rated for 800 taps...which is probably about double the amount that works well. It is not likely there is any extra CFM available to make a sap ladder (or multiple sap ladders like the OP wants to do) work well, especially on warm days when there is a lot of tree gases being released. Will it work? Yes, perhaps. Will it work well? No.

Also, because of the low CFM, the vacuum beyond the ladder will be quite low.

seanbutler
05-06-2021, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the advice! The message is pretty clear: back to the drawing board!