PDA

View Full Version : designing a mainline tubing tool

maple flats
01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I am trying to make a mainline tool and wondered if the threaded rod to move the 2 parts together should be fine thread for more force or would course thread be good. The tool will be for 3/4" and 1" mainline.

royalmaple
01-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I can look on mine tomorrow and let you know. If I had to guess I think it is course thread. It travels pretty quickly, so I doubt fine thread.

Do you have the concept of what you need to make one up or do you need some photos? You should be able to take some square stock and find one that slides inside the other. THen on the smaller one, weld a nut to the inside top edge, that will catch your threaded rod and then on the larger diameter square stock weld a washer on the end with a nut so it stops the rod and will move or slide the larger stock onto the smaller one. When you turn the crank should make it travel open and close.

maple flats
01-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I was just going from a picture in one of the catalogs, which is poor at best. Some good pictures would be appreciated. Maybe youcould email them to me dklish@earthlink.net or just put them in your Photobucket album and let me know when they are in there.

Dave Y
01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Maple flats'
My mainline tool has a course thread. I travels much faster than fine thread. If you build one make sure you put a grease fitting on it, as it will help withe the operation of the tool when you get tension on it.

royalmaple
01-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll try to take some pictures before I go in the woods tomorrow and get them posted for you. Should help for sure. I've never taken mine apart, but just guessing at the mechanics of it, but I'd say I'm pretty close.

Or I'll email them to you. Either way I'll let you know when I get it done.

ibby458
01-12-2008, 07:03 AM
I just finished a one handed tubing tool and am half way thru building a two handed tool. THe mainline tool is next. I'll be using a chunk of Unistrut as the body, with the biggest coupling nut and threaded rod I can fit in there. That should work, eh?

royalmaple
01-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I took some pictures and they are in my photobucket account in a sub folder in the equipment picture folder.

Here's some measurements. Over all length of the large tube is 17 inches, the inner tube is probably a few inches shorter. For some reason there must be a washer welded on the end of the threaded rod, cause I could not take the two pieces apart, but like I said above weld a nut to the inside of the top of the small tube to thread the rod into. That will get your action you need to open and close the tool. Take the nut you are going to weld and thread onto the rod, then weld a washer on the end of the rod. Just make sure it will fit inside the smaller tube. Then insert into the smaller tube and weld the nut to the smaller tube. It doesn't have to go inside the pipe like the washer but needs to be smaller than the inside of the 1 1/4 tube so it will slide obviously. Then slide big tube over the mess, and you can see the crank mechanism for the top in the picture. Washer fits loosely, weld a nut to the top of the rod, and weld a crank to the nut. THen the vise grips and your joining mainline my friend.

Large outside tube is 1 1/4inches, inner tube is 1inch. Outside measurements.

Should be all set for serious production. Stupid simple to make I should have made one before I bought this one but I didn't have any pictures to go on.

maple flats
01-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks royalmaple for the pics. They give me a good idea to go on. I think I may build one this week end, or at least get started.
Dave

royalmaple
01-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Dave no problem. Let me know how it goes or if you need something else to go by.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
MATT
i showed my son your pics and presto 2 days later i have a tubing installing tool. he works for a company that makes robotics

RICH

royalmaple
01-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Awesome, glad to hear they helped.

maple flats
02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
I have the parts made for my 3/4' & 1" mainline tool except for the clamping jaws. Do the main line tools have a portion of the jaw enlarged on the inner portion to allow for expansion of the tubing as it is forced over the fitting like the ones for the 5/16 tubing tool does or is the mainline stiff enough to support itself as the fitting is being forced in? I am using 3/4" and 1" STEEL pipe couplings for the jaws, will remove the sharpness of the pipe thread to avoid a cut of the surface of the tubing and will use slightly under a half for each half of the jaw.