PDA

View Full Version : Better to run longer 3/16 or connect to mainline?

ADK_XJ
04-22-2021, 07:57 PM
I'm starting to make my plans for some new tubing lines on a good portion of slope in our new sugar bush, nothing crazy just one or two more 30~ tap lines of 3/16 going down a long, steep slope.

My question is, would there be any reason in terms of efficiency or flow rate to end my 3/16" line before my collection point and run it into a mainline? I realize I could connect multiple "laterals" into the mainline, however the collection point is further down hill so I am assuming that would only add to my natural vacuum if I continue to run the 3/16" down the rest of the way.

Does this make sense? In other words, when using 3/16" is there a point at which the length of the tubing from the last tap is working against you?

motowbrowne
04-22-2021, 10:57 PM
As long as it keeps going down hill it should be fine to just keep it in 3/16. Certainly simpler. Only reason I'd consider joining them into a mainline is if the slope becomes much more gradual before your tank.

PiperHill
04-23-2021, 05:59 AM
When i did my installation i looked at few things.

Cheaper to install only 3/16 no other type of tubing
Easy to find leak
Better natural vacuum

I run between 35 and 40 taps per line and some tap are at 900’ from my tank

Very happy with my installation

Cheers
Erick

maple flats
04-23-2021, 10:08 AM
That said, 40 is really too many on a good sap flow day, divide it into 2 @ 20 taps for more sap total. Up to 30 is recommended, I like 20-25 better. On my old lease I had 1 line that was 1400' long. I'd use a mainline only if the slope moderates of if the distance calculates to cost less having a mainline. For the mainline remember all costs, saddle, support wire, tie wires and tubing cost with labor cost (even if you do it yourself, there is still a labor cost in valuable time.

ADK_XJ
04-23-2021, 10:25 AM
Great advice, all - this sort of confirms my hunch to go with 3/16 the full way down.