PDA

View Full Version : To raise or not to raise the arch

danno
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
This was briefly discussed in a part of another thread recently. I'm about to set up my new arch and have to decide whether to raise it or not, before I brick it. It's a wood fired 3x10.

If I raise it I was going to put it up on 2 rows of the solid 4" ciderblocks - so it would be about 8" above the cement floor.

What's your opinion? Anybody like keeping them on the ground?

Advantages: easier to fire, forced air entry that much higher above the ash pile, allows room for more ash build up.

Disavantages: if blocks below it crack out, smoke stack that much higher, harder to keep the non air tight arch air tight (when it's on the ground, I use the ash in the pit to seal the bottom of the arch to the floor)

What am I missing?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
i have solid 4" cement blocks and never cracked

RICH

sweetwoodmaple
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a D&G 3 x 10 drop flue. I didn't raise mine when I first installed, but the heat is getting to my concrete, so I'm going to raise mine this year. Probably use standard fire brick as spacers.

Good Luck!

Sugarmaker
01-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Danno,
Not much heat down there when you have forced air cooling it off. I have not had a problem with any thing cracking while raised.
I raised mine based on watching others with raised wood fired arch and also spending 8 years on my knees ( Seemed like it) firing one that wasn't raised. I have seen pits and steps that could be dangerous too. We have a nice flat floor with no tripping hazards. I chose to raise the arch 1 block (8 inch) (4 inch wide). Extra room for ashes is a plus too. This was a easy decision for me and has worked well. Oh yea, I think its much easier to fire:)

Regards,
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I have 1" ceramic blanket underneath the bottom of my arch. It protects the floor and seals off the bottom completely airtight also.

Dave Y
01-10-2008, 09:06 PM
I have an airtight arch and it is sitting on 2- 8" blocks. If I had the ceiling height it would be sitting on 4. My back is bad enough with out bending over to fire.

Bucket Head
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I would reccomend putting it up on block's. It will be much easier on your back. Constantly bending over all day is murder. Any additional height will help out there. Beside's, you can alway's build step's or some sort of raised platform's to put aside of the evap. to walk on and check the flue pan.

Steve

Maplewalnut
01-11-2008, 07:24 AM
I am in the same situation. I thought about mudding in a firebrick foundation to set the rig on but my setup this year has to be temporary since I will be at a 2X6 next season come hell or high water!

One question....Everyone that has 8"in block....are you talking standard foundation block (with holes) or do you use solids?

Thanks Mike

Dave Y
01-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I am using standard cement blocks. But mine is for support and height only,as my arch is air tight.

maple flats
01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I have also been thinking about raising mine, I now have 4" but might go +8" or even +16"

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I had mine raised at one time and I laid up a base out of firebrick and it looks nice and should last a long time. Looks a little better than cinderblock in my opinion, but not that looks is that important.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-11-2008, 07:48 PM
2 4" Solid Blocks Stacked Will Work Fine Also

Rich

Bucket Head
01-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I would reccomend to everyone raising their arch to use solid block's, irregardless of the size.

Solid block's are stronger and more durable. I've seen too many non-solid type block's with crack's and piece's missing. You just can't trust them.

Think of solid block's as cheap insurance. They could prevent what would be considered a terrible sap house accident.

Steve

ibby458
01-12-2008, 07:09 AM
I screwed a heavy sheet metal bottom on my firebox, then set the whole thing up on cedar 6x6s. THey extended 2 feet out each side, where I attached a catwalk. The whole shebang sits on #2 stone, and I have some big wood wedges under the 6x6s that I tap into place to level. It looks a bit crude, but works VERY well. No sign of charring on the 6x6s, I have a dry, level platform to set my drawoff pail on and work the pans from. Keeps everything out of the mud until I can afford a concrete floor.

syrupman
01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Maplewalnut

I've been thinking of buying a Dallaire 18 x 48 rig. Could you tell me some of the advantages and disadvantages of your evaporator??
Also how long does it take to get a gallon of syrup.
Thanks a lot.

danno
01-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for responding with your ideas and suggestions. I set the evaporator today - 2 4" solid blocks. I had enough to go 3, but with two I can still see in the pans well without a platform.

Maplewalnut
01-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Syrupman,

I sent you a PM.