PDA

View Full Version : Top line size

ldick
04-12-2021, 09:40 AM
Can top (dry) line be different size than bottom (wet) line? For
Example of I have 1.5 inch on bottom is 1” ok for top line?

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-12-2021, 09:44 AM
Yes but generally your dry line is a larger diameter than your wet line. Might want to check out the Cornell Book on vacuum to make sure you have things sized correctly. Or provide some of the bush info to get opinions from others on what the sizing should be.

maple flats
04-12-2021, 10:34 AM
I agree, I've seen a few where the top is the same size as the bottom, but in general the top (dry) line is 1 size larger than the bottom (wet) line.

Chasefamily
04-12-2021, 12:30 PM
Can top (dry) line be different size than bottom (wet) line? For
Example of I have 1.5 inch on bottom is 1” ok for top line?

It could be okay, although normally the dry line is larger due to vacuum lose over how long you run it. I would try and map out what you have for lengths and where the taps are, and size accordingly

DrTimPerkins
04-12-2021, 02:05 PM
The wet line is often smaller to reduce sap heating in the line. The dry line is often larger to carry more CFM to the pump. The advantage to making them the same size is ease in repairs (less fitting sizes to deal with).

ldick
04-12-2021, 05:53 PM
I will have about 1200 ft of mainline. All with less than 1% slope here in flat country. Not exactly sure on number of taps yet but likely between 1500 and 2000.

TapTapTap
04-13-2021, 07:32 AM
I will have about 1200 ft of mainline. All with less than 1% slope here in flat country. Not exactly sure on number of taps yet but likely between 1500 and 2000.

Another practical reason to do the smaller pipe as wet line is due to the major sag problems you'll have with a shallow slope. Sag problems can be overwhelming (more freezing problems, longer to thaw, warmer sap when conditions are warm, surging of the flow, et cetera. And of course it looks terrible and unprofessional.

The more weight - the greater the sag between support posts. Even empty, the 1.5" weighs about 50% more than 1". Full of sap the the weight difference is about 2.5 times greater which means maybe 2.5 times the sag (I'm guessing here since catenary analysis is above my pay grade).

I'd also recommend not using black tubing. Black tubing will be warmer on sunny days - and guess what? That means even more sag!

Ken

ldick
04-13-2021, 12:02 PM
We use post every 10-15 ft with high tensile wire set with laser but do still have some issues with flow.
I’m having trouble deciphering the Cornell vacuum notebook but guessing with our slope issues 1.5 going to be required at least for part of mainline.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Without looking at it I would have guessed 1" or 1.25" for mainline. Is it just 1 mainline, 1200 ft. in length or several short mainlines? How far is it from your pump to the mainlines?

ldick
04-13-2021, 04:06 PM
1 mainline. Pump and releaser right at start (less than 10 ft) of line.