PDA

View Full Version : How to keep the stack up?

danno
01-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I've got about 12' stack above the roof line that I have to hang guide wires fastened to the roof to keep the stack from blowing over. How do you guys tie your guide wires to the stack. I was thinking of either bolting a piece of plumbers tape around the stack and looping the guide wire through the pipe tape or putting 3 ss eyebolts through the top section of stack.

I know they sell guide wire collars for smaller pipe, but have not seen anything for 14'" pipe.

Any suggestions.

Brad W Wi
01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I drilled 3 holes and put nuts and bolts in the top section, and ran some dog chain to the roof with a turn buckle on each and adjust it with the buckels.

New Hope Mapleman
01-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Plumbers tape doesn't last too long. Know cause I tried it on one side of mine.

Dave Y
01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Danno,
I have the same situation as you. my stack is 12 ft above my roof. The way i secured my stack is as follows; I used 2 pieces of 3/32 aircraft cable. I took each one and come around the back side of the stack and attached each end to a turn buckle and tightened. Now to keep the cable in place i took a 1"x2" piece of step flashing folded it in half and ran a sheet metal screw thru it in to the stack. and there you have it a handy cable holder that wont wear out quickly

maple flats
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
When I had my first evap I had to guy it and did about the same as Dave Y, using light weight SS cable and made my attaching straps from a piece of ss sheet I had and used ss screws to attach small straps to stack to hold the guys up. SS bolts would be better.