PDA

View Full Version : cheap smoke stack

ryan marquette
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions what to use for a reasonable base stack & smoke stack? I can't find anything used. I need 20' of 12" smoke stack to build my 3x10 arch & I'm going to have almost $700 into the,galvanized, base & smoke stack.
Ryan

Sugarmaker
01-10-2008, 07:19 PM
ryan,
Well I did build mine using stainless from the sides and insides of old Dari-Kool bulk tanks. Lots of work I had about $75 in materials and more labor than you can shake a stick at.:) Made and nice stack though. Don't try this several days befor you need it. I made some quick scaled prototypes just using paper to prove the bends and shapes then just started hacking and whacking, which for those that know me that's pretty much my mode:) Pictures may help on our site. Hey, I did not use any Duct tape:)
Chris

danno
01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi Ryan - I just paid 1/2 that for 20' of 14" stack at a local sheet metal fabricator, and that included the base. Curious what guage others use. I used 20 guage galvenized which is pretty heavy stuff. Seems like Leader would be about $200 for the base (6') and $30 for each 3' section of stack?

lpakiz
01-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Have you thought of 12" steel driveway culvert?? Perhaps Fleet Farm carries this stuff, or else a local construction company...
Larry

Cardigan99
01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Ryan. like Danno says, find yourself a sheetmetal shop, the kind that makes ductwork. They can probably set you up for a decent price. Alot of them will have 10 footers of spiral pipe that is pretty rigid stuff. I can't see a length of that going for more than 50-$60 bucks. Transition piece might go for about 150-$200. Most of what I had fabbed comes from the shop I used to work at.

Best of luck!

Todd

danno
01-10-2008, 07:45 PM
or culvert, not a bad idea.

The prices for the 20 foot long culverts are as follows:
CULVERT SIZE BASE PRICE SALES TAX FULL COST
12 inch galvanized corrugated steel $ 135.00 $ 8.10 $ 143.10
18 inch galvanized corrugated steel $ 203.00 $ 12.18 $ 215.18

ryan marquette
01-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Danno what made you decide to go with 14" stack? How tall is your base stack? Culvert sounds good, do you think the ripples in the corrugated pipe would affect the smoke draft?
Ryan

danno
01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Ryan - my stack base is 5', then I have 3 4' sections of stack and 1 3' section. A total of 20'. The fabricator stole a foot of one of the 3' stack and welded it onto the stack base to form his female to accept the 1st section of 4' stack (if that makes sense?)

The beat stack that came with the arch was 16". Pretty sure that was not stock. Some of the manu's spec a 12" stack for a 3x10 and some spec a 14". I'm gonna be pushing forced air and pre heater and trying for 100 gph so I thought bigger, but I'm sure 12" would have been fine as well.

I was ab le to salvage a nice stack cover from the old 16". So that was a perk.

gmcooper
01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Our neighbor worked at a place where the owner used the galvanized culvert for chimney for the wood stove to heat the shop. They had 2 major issues, well 3. First the ribs created turbulance which cut way down on the draft to the point of nearly smoking them out. Then when they got the fire hot enough there was the issue of the galvanized coating burning or at least giving off fumes that made them choking and running for the doors. 3rd was code enforcement and fire gave a big thumbs down as they said they won't hold up with the heat. I was not there the only day they fired it but there is a new masonary chimney there now.

Local sheet metal shop is the answer.

220 maple
01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Ryan,
I had a new stackbase and one section of stove pipe made by a Mr. Beachy an Amish man near Salisbury, Pa. The stovepipe is 14 inchs by 10 foot long, the base was near 10 foot, All stainless for the amazing price of $380 dollars.
My friend and Maple equipment supplier told me I would get a bargain. I agree from what I'm reading on this thread.

Mark 220 Maple

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Culvert would be too heavy in my opinion unless you supported the weight by some means other than the base stack. If you can find an Amish, you should be in good shape. I had 4' sections of 10" steam stack in stainless made for $ 30. It is not quite as heavy as regular stack, but not much difference and he made me a nice stainless roof jack for less than $ 50 center mounted.

labman
03-04-2008, 07:10 AM
I made a cheap stack last weekend. I went to Menards and bought 6 5' sections of 6" stack for $5.00 each laid each pipe on the floor and flattened them out to open up the circumference then snapped 2 together and I had a 12" stack screwed it at the top and bottom of each pipe and put it together for approx $30 bucks for 15'

syrupmaker
03-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Word from the wise, DON'T USE CULVERT PIPE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

A freind of mine was renting a house out, The tenent put in a wood stove in his living room useing the culvert pipe as a chimney. After burning it for a couple weeks had a chimney fire. When the pipe gets hot enough it unwinds much like a wrapper on smarty's candie, really gets the fire going in the 2nd floor and attic. Insurance wouldn't cover his property do to an inncorrect installation of the stove, easy out for them. Next thing ya know he was without a tennent and the house,total lose.