PDA

View Full Version : Very dark/strong taste syrup for making sugar

bill m
04-04-2021, 07:25 AM
Is anyone using very dark/strong taste syrup for making sugar? I do not have a very big market for very dark ( even though I have tried ) and was wondering if anyone is using it for sugar.

canaanmaple
04-04-2021, 07:47 AM
Is anyone using very dark/strong taste syrup for making sugar? I do not have a very big market for very dark ( even though I have tried ) and was wondering if anyone is using it for sugar.

I think it usually makes a more gummy product similar to brown sugar because of invert sugars, but have come across a few people saying they use it just fine, so there is only one way to find out for sure :)

Bricklayer
04-04-2021, 03:54 PM
I’ve had it go both ways.
I’ve found if it’s dark with a light not to dark taste it will be fine.
If it’s got that really deep maple flavour it won’t make good sugar.
Just my theory.

upsmapleman
04-04-2021, 07:07 PM
My guess is that it won't make sugar. Try it but I think it will never break up just be a big glob. If that happens you can boil some water and turn it back to syrup and then add some lighter syrup and try again. If you know how to test for invert sugar you could save some time.

n8hutch
04-04-2021, 07:15 PM
I made some last week worked fine, I go a little hotter with it like 275, also just try a pints worth by hand and you won't waste a bunch.