PDA

View Full Version : I submit my neighbor for the Most-Sap-Per-Tap award.

motowbrowne
04-02-2021, 07:20 PM
Sorry if this is insensitive, I know some of you guys out east aren't having a great year. But I just can't believe how much sap this guy has hauled this year. I just had to make a post about it. He's got an even 100 taps up on the top of his hill. Lots of elevation drop and brand new 3/16 tubing. A mix of cdl and h2o I believe. 5/16 drops with new disposable cdl clear spouts. And he's collected......... (drumroll please)............

4175 gallons of sap. So far. We're still collecting until the middle of the day tomorrow, so he'll have another hundred gallons I'd guess. I think it's safe to call it 42.5gpt. If I hadn't seen every load with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. I told him to expect 20 gallons per tap, but he's more than doubled that. Anyway, I know 3/16 has its limitations, and it's unlikely that he'll ever see that GPT number again, but holy smokes, what a haul! I hope someday I'll see numbers like that from my woods!!!

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-02-2021, 09:06 PM
I don’t think you’ll find anyone upset by success of another sugarmaker here. Sure we get frustrated in a tough year but wish well for others. A buddy of mine on the other end of town has half the taps as us on 6 year old 3/16” tubing with old drops, taps and tees and they are making more syrup than us. They have some real nice sugar maples so good for them. That’s a great yield, congrats!

littleTapper
04-03-2021, 06:53 AM
That's awesome! Give 'em a high five from us down here in the corner of the state with the crappy maple weather :)

Parker
04-03-2021, 07:56 AM
That's great to hear!

ir3333
04-03-2021, 08:05 AM
...that's 40 gallons per tap, wow!
what is the sugar content?

motowbrowne
04-03-2021, 09:02 AM
...that's 40 gallons per tap, wow!
what is the sugar content?

He's been between 1.7-2.4 all season. Mostly in the middle of that.