PDA

View Full Version : From propane and pots to a new evaporator.

SRM
04-02-2021, 11:13 AM
I just put money down on a new Corsair Evaporator with a 2x4 divided pan by Smoky Lake Maple Products. I'm excited and can't wait till next year to see how it goes! All I know is that it has to be better than the 1 gallon per hour boil that I got this year by using a 5 gallon pot with propane. Everyone here says this hobby can become an addiction. They are right, I just didn't think it would happen so quickly. Now I have to find someone to build a sugar shack for me before next winter, any volunteers?:)

NhShaun
04-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Congrats on the new upgrades and taking the leap, you won't regret it. Have you already figured out how many taps you can put in on your property for when the addiction take over?

SRM
04-02-2021, 02:10 PM
I'm going from this year's 26 to 76 or maybe 100 taps next year. Then depending on how the evaporator does, I will tap the other side of the hill. I'm guessing not more than 200 taps total. I do have relatives as neighbors and they said earlier this year I could tap their trees too.

NhShaun
04-02-2021, 02:14 PM
That's a nice jump in taps from one season to the next. It's also nice having more taps available nearby in the future. Best of luck getting it all set up. 2022 season will be here in no time.

Woodsrover
04-02-2021, 03:22 PM
Oh, just buy a 4'x8' now and get it over with.
I bought 3 evaporators in 3 years when I first started this....

Pdiamond
04-02-2021, 05:47 PM
Check with your local amish builders. 12 x 16 and you'll be all set.

Pdiamond
04-02-2021, 05:58 PM
SRM just read your second post.. If you are thinking about expanding beyond the 100 taps, you;ll probably want to think about getting the raised flue pan and front syrup pan set for the arch. Make sure you have lots of wood because it does boil really hard and likes to eat wood frequently. My set-up will boil minimum of 40 gph more if I really stoke the fire. I do not use an R.O. just straight sap.

Bucket Head
04-03-2021, 11:36 PM
Congrats on the new rig. It's always fun getting bigger and better equipment! But I also have to agree with the last two posters. If expanding, and possibly more expanding (which is how it's probably going to go. I've been there...) a bigger rig won't be a bad thing. Your going to add taps and before long your going to be saying what you were saying with the pots. "I need more evaporation capacity!".

Steve

SRM
04-04-2021, 10:07 AM
Ok, its Easter and I'm thinking of getting a quote for the raised flu pan for the Corsair instead of the divided pan I put money on.
You guys aren't helping my marriage much.😅

pete3046
04-04-2021, 07:16 PM
That corsair arch is half the investment, the pan(s) are the second. I'd suggest at a minimum the 2x4 hybrid pan, with the raised flue/syrup pan being the better, but also more expensive setup. The 2x4 divided pan will have trouble keeping up with that many taps.
Have fun! Pete

Pdiamond
04-04-2021, 09:35 PM
SRM ask them about using Northstar Leasing Company for your purchase of the pan sets. You can make a monthly lease payment at a lower cost and have what you want which will keep your wife happy. Ask for Jason Butkus at Northstar.

ecp
04-05-2021, 09:53 AM
my 2 cents are a larger rig isn't a bad idea. That being said a Small RO is money much better spent and time saved. I'd think a 2x4 hybrid feeding it with 10% could keep up with 200 taps. Could be wrong with evaporation rates, but once you go to and RO you will not go back to Raw sap

SRM
04-06-2021, 05:03 PM
my 2 cents are a larger rig isn't a bad idea. That being said a Small RO is money much better spent and time saved. I'd think a 2x4 hybrid feeding it with 10% could keep up with 200 taps. Could be wrong with evaporation rates, but once you go to and RO you will not go back to Raw sap

Yea, I just checked the price on a better pan and it jumps about 2k. I think I'll invest in an RO system or try to make one myself. I have to build a sugar shack and will make it big enough for growth if all goes well. Thanks for the advice.

ecp
04-07-2021, 07:36 AM
Sounds like you will have a busy off season. Enjoy it you'll be happy with an RO.

jrgagne99
04-07-2021, 08:34 AM
Plus +1 on the RO

maple flats
04-07-2021, 09:22 AM
Just to let you know how my early years went and from what others say, it's not unusual. I started with a 2x3 flat pan in year 1, a 2x6 in year 2-5, and a 3x8 in year 6-present. I built my sugarhouse after yr 1 and used it in yr 2-present. When I built I thought I'd never out grow my 16x24 sugarhouse, I was wrong. It is crowded for sure. I often wished I had built it either 20x30 or 24x36.
Plan ahead! In my sugarhouse I have a 3x8 evaporator, 2 chest freezers, an RO in an insulated room with a wall furnace, A filter press, a Water jacketed canner, A 2x6 finisher, a micro wave, a SS sink, a tankless water heater and a section with my solar equipment, and finally a rolling bakery multi shelf rack I use when bottling syrup. During the season, I also keep a wood rack filled with firewood. It is crowded for sure. I often drew up plans to add an addition, but life always got in the way. It would have been much easier had I built a 24x36 in the beginning and the cost per S.F. gets somewhat lower as the size increases.