PDA

View Full Version : Replacing taps

wilson maple
04-01-2021, 07:56 AM
I was wondering what time of year is the best to replace spouts. Should they be changed at the end of the season or wait till fall/winter to change them out.

DrTimPerkins
04-01-2021, 08:08 AM
There is currently no research on this subject. We are nearing the end of a study examining the timing of putting spouts on in the fall, mid-winter, or during tapping, however we will not know the results for at least a few more weeks.

Lacking any data, I would suggest it would be best if they were not put in before the temperature started to get cold in the fall to avoid excess contamination.

wilson maple
04-02-2021, 07:33 AM
Ok thank you. I would be very interested in seeing the data you have come up with on this topic. Also would it be a problem to cut old spouts off when pulling them after season and letting the drops be open till fall/winter when putting new spouts on.

NhShaun
04-02-2021, 07:45 AM
Also would it be a problem to cut old spouts off when pulling them after season and letting the drops be open till fall/winter when putting new spouts on.
I've tried that and ended up with all sorts of little bugs and nests inside my tubing which eventually clogged a lot of my lines and fittings. You're better off keeping them plugged once they dry out then replace the following season.

jrgagne99
04-02-2021, 08:06 AM
With the CV2 spouts, I cut them off when I pull the taps, flip them around, and put the pointy end right back into the drop. This allows me to keep pulling spouts "under vacuum" to try to suck all of the old sap out of the lines.

Russell Lampron
04-02-2021, 02:15 PM
I cut the old taps off about a month before I tap. I never thought of doing that but jrgagne99 has a good idea and I would do that if this wasn't my last season.

bmead
04-13-2021, 11:01 AM
I cut them off when pulling taps and use Plug style T fittings to plug the drop until I replace them when tapping.