PDA

View Full Version : Is Red Maple sap inherently dirty?

randomseeker
03-29-2021, 11:52 AM
Gradually moving from a mixture of sugar maples to red maples, this year I am 100% red maples. Since my collection has been predominantly red, my syrup has been dark from day one and that is true this year. I have also found that as I increased my mix of red maples that my filtering has become increasingly challenging. This year, with 100% red, and late in the season (when my syrup tend to filter more slowly) I can now no longer use a felt/paper combination on my vacuum filter press. I use a shop vac to draw down a CDL 12” filter press. It used to work well in previous years, when there was a component of sugar maples. This year, at this point, I no longer can use the felt (or whatever that material is) and must use several layers of the paper (it’s not really paper either) filters.

I like to mix in the diametric earth (again, not sure what it is called) into the syrup before I filter it but could not do that as the filtering slowed down.

My theory is that red maples, being softer, have an easier time of passing minerals between the cells and passing it into the sap. Hence, my conclusion is that red maple sap is dirtier than sugars. Has anyone else had that experience or can suggest another reason?

DrTimPerkins
03-29-2021, 12:08 PM
Warmer season, more microbial growth, filters harder. Red maples are not likely to be the cause.

Biz
03-29-2021, 12:48 PM
I have 70% red maples and it is still filtering OK. I use cone filters. I draw syrup from evaporator into a pail through a cone prefilter, which collects a lot of niter. Then later it gets reheated and finished off and sent through a couple prefilters and synthetic felt cone, using the cone filter optimizer rack. I run 3-4 gallons per day, 4-5 qt batches. This time of year I need to change the prefilters between batches but earlier in the season I did not. The filter rack is a game changer. For years the end of season filtering was a nightmare, now it is no big deal.

Dave

tcross
03-29-2021, 01:33 PM
i'm 70% red maples and i have never really had too hard a time filtering. just have to keep the syrup hot. we but our filter (orlon with 3 prefilters) in a dairy milk can and draw syrup off the evaporator into that. when not in use, the filter either hangs above the syrup pan, or stays in the milk can with a cover over it. we always have two filters going... one in use, and one hanging over the pans.

Russell Lampron
03-29-2021, 04:57 PM
I used to tap all sugars and then transitioned to reds as I opened up my woods. About 90% of my trees are reds. I didn't notice any difference in filtering difficulty when I left the sugar maple orchard that was off site and added the reds that are on my own land.

For two seasons I had a difficult time getting more than 5 gallons through my filter press when I used to be able to do 15 gallons with ease. I thought something in the trees had changed. I was so frustrated that I bought a full bank filter press to replace my short bank press. I had the same problem with the new press until I finished the bag of filter aide that I had been using. It turns out that I had gotten a defective bag of filter aide. I traced the timeline to when the problem started and it was when I had started using that bag. The problem went away when that bag was gone. Before someone asks, it was the Diatomite brand that I bought from a maple supplier.

Kh7722
03-29-2021, 07:49 PM
I am also on all reds and have a full bank 7” press. Early in season i can easily get 30-40 gallons through it. As season goes on it drops just like everyone else with sugars. For whatever reason almost everyone in our area is making darker than normal syrup this year. Being all reds made we still light last year, definitely not the trees, i would say congratulations on being all reds!! The haters will hate, but we all know that red maples are superior :o :cool:

maple flats
03-30-2021, 01:51 PM
You say you couldn't mix in DE, that puzzles me. However I'm not familiar with vacuum filtering.
On a normal filter press the harder it gets to filter the more DE you need to mix in. Is a vacuum filter that much different?

Sugar Bear
04-02-2021, 04:44 PM
I am also on all reds and have a full bank 7” press. Early in season i can easily get 30-40 gallons through it. As season goes on it drops just like everyone else with sugars. For whatever reason almost everyone in our area is making darker than normal syrup this year. Being all reds made we still light last year, definitely not the trees, i would say congratulations on being all reds!! The haters will hate, but we all know that red maples are superior :o :cool:

In my woods I have a mix of reds and sugars at both locations I tap trees at. This year I tapped both the reds and sugars and if I could only tap one it would be the sugars. They run better and here in the southern end of the mid Hudson valley and southwestern CT, the sugars are back in "sugaring" mode with a crazy cold spell in the first week of April.

As I see it the only reason anybody should be tapping Reds is if they don't have any or enough sugars to tap.

randomseeker
04-14-2021, 08:58 AM
This is GREAT feedback everyone! Thank you. My conclusion, reds are not any dirtier than sugars. In fact, I have been advised that they are cleaner because there is less nitre in the syrup. In my syrup pan I don’t even cover the bottom with what looks like silt. Certainly not the coating I have been told occurs with sugars. Does that make sense? All my trees are sitting in water and I have been told that they pick up less material from the ground than trees sitting on dry ground and particularly those sitting on sandy soil.

That being the case I have also been advised I need to use much more DE or equivalent than sugars do as there is less sand/nitre in the syrup to amplify its own filtering. Does this make sense? I use a 7” 3 chamber filter press (about to pick it up and use it for the first time). Any experience on how much Filter-Brite/DE to use?

Thanks again.

DrTimPerkins
04-14-2021, 09:07 AM
Filter-Brite/DE to use?

Hopefully you mean Filter-Aid/DE and not Filter-Brite. Filter-Brite is sanitizer for filter cartridge systems. DON'T use that. Also, make sure you are using proper food-grade DE made for maple syrup filtration. There are many types/grades of DE. Many are not appropriate and won't work well for maple syrup.

In terms of how much to use....check with the seller of the filter press you're using. They should be able to advise you. Generally if things aren't working correctly, it's because users don't add enough DE. You'll be able to tell it is working correctly when you disassemble the press after use and find a nice cake of DE/niter has built up on the papers.

As to your other question....our pet name for this is "insta-theory", meaning a supposition based upon limited evidence. Your hypothesis is what is termed "confounded" because there are two (or three) factors involved. One is species (red vs sugar). The other is moisture (normal vs wetland). Which is affecting your niter level is impossible to say. It may possibly be the season (factor #3). Several reports in this area and others of it being a low niter year. Either way...the best part is that you can enjoy the fact that it wasn't a problem. :D

DrTimPerkins
04-14-2021, 09:18 AM
As I see it the only reason anybody should be tapping Reds is if they don't have any or enough sugars to tap.

That was definitely the way people thought 25+ yrs ago. However with good vacuum, reds will produce quite well. We went from having no red maples tapped in our sugarbush to about 1/3 of our taps being red maple. We make plenty of great tasting maple syrup.

We do have a project starting next spring comparing sap yield, sugar content, timing of buddy flavor development, wounding, and syrup flavor. Dr. Abby is the PI on that project.

Kh7722
04-14-2021, 07:46 PM
That was definitely the way people thought 25+ yrs ago. However with good vacuum, reds will produce quite well. We went from having no red maples tapped in our sugarbush to about 1/3 of our taps being red maple. We make plenty of great tasting maple syrup.

We do have a project starting next spring comparing sap yield, sugar content, timing of buddy flavor development, wounding, and syrup flavor. Dr. Abby is the PI on that project.

Dr Tim,
Cant wait to see the results on this study. That was definitely the thought 25 years ago, but there is so much untapped potential in our area (im assuming all over the maple country). Ive said it before we tap all reds and do pretty well all things considered. The syrup tastes great and have so many repeat customers, would highly recommend that people not skip over red maples, they go just as long and most could probably gain 20-50 percent more taps. Just my 2 cents
Kevin

jrgagne99
04-15-2021, 08:36 AM
Almost all of my 150 taps are reds and are woods trees. In my experience, they make less syrup in general than sugars, though it has excellent flavor and I have many satisfied customers that prefer my syrup especially. In my operation, I try to do all of the best tapping and sanitation practices, i.e. "strive for 5", new CV spouts each year, new drops every 5 years, tapping depth 2" with tapping bit, seating until thud only, etc. Even with decent vacuum (average about 25 inches at releaser, 23 at top of farthest lateral), I've never been able to make the coveted 0.5 gpt. Best ever was 0.42 in 2018 with all new drops. In my chart below, I attribute about 20% less production in years 2015 and 2017 due to trips to Florida at tail end of season. The reds run a very comparable time-frame to the sugar maples, but sap yield does tend to tail off a bit toward the end relative to my neighbors with sugars, in spite of CV spouts and good sanitation. Also my sugar content averages maybe 0.2-0.3% less than neighbors with sugar maples.

randomseeker
04-15-2021, 11:53 AM
“ Hopefully you mean Filter-Aid/DE and not Filter-
Brite”

Yes, Filter-Aid purchased from my maple supplier. Thanks for the clarification.

Sugar Bear
04-15-2021, 03:52 PM

That sounds like a very interesting project. Please post the results of that when done.

I have no more sugars to tap so I will be tapping some Red Maples next year. I plan to set up some kind of vacuum on them.

I tapped a few this year along with a silver. Got decent sap flow on gravity to buckets.

They never showed more the half a percent sugar this year. Had a home built RO to deal with them however and they made great syrup very much if not the same as the sugar syrup.

With that said I would still tap the sugars over the reds if I had more to tap, but I do not, so I will tap the many Reds I have.