PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Sugar House for back yarders

levic900rr
03-28-2021, 05:41 PM
Hey Team,

I got a bunch of questions about my temporary sugarhouse set up so I decided to make a video showing how I set it up (in reverse)

Let me know if you have questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJHwrUqRSMg

maple flats
03-28-2021, 07:48 PM
I have a comment, look at all of the flame coming out the stack, that is not flame that traveled from the fire to the top of the stack, it is unburned wood gasses re-igniting as it gets more air. The real solution it to add AOF, but a slight improvement would be to add a blower, pushing air in over the fire to help burn those gasses where they can help boil the sap.
If you think you will keep that evaporator for 3 or more seasons, consider adding high pressure air over fire (AOF). It will give you more boil on less wood. Read up on the subject, there are few threads on this site about it, and I've linked a study from Vermont Maple Research giving some details.

levic900rr
03-29-2021, 07:33 AM
Hey man, thank you for the feedback and the comment. Funny story though, that is not my actual sugarhouse. Its just a random "big" sugar house image that I grabbed online. Its supposed to be a goof cause my "sugarhouse" is like 8'X12' :) I have a blower on my arch and I can't believe how much it helped to both increase my boil rate and clean up the smoke.