PDA

View Full Version : building 3x10 arch

ryan marquette
01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Help!!!!!, I can't find a wood fired standard arch for my 3x10 raised flue pans, 3x3 syrup & 3x7 flue pan, so I am going to build one. I have many questions: For starters how big is the collar that the base stack sits on & how far back is the base stack collar on the arch? Also where should I put the baffles under the flue pan & how close should I put the grates to the bottom of the pan?
Thanks in advance for any help, Ryan

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
The collar would be around 30" x 6" and tappered down to a 14 or 16 inch stack and it would be immediately after the flue pan. As far as the grates, if you build a 32" high arch, then put the bottom of the grates 8" off of the floor or 24" below pan level or 22" with a 30" arch and etc.

danno
01-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Ryan - on my 30x8 I have two baffles, one about 6" from the "ramp" and the second about 10" from the stack. On my new/used 3x10, rather than actual baffles, it had a single layer of brick along the entire bottom of the arch - and then built up with brick and vermiculite all the way to the top of the arch from about 6" from the "ramp" to 6" from the stack.

My pans are the same size as your - can't wait to boil on them.

Get going - you've got some fabricating to do. Good luck!

Bucket Head
01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Ryan,

You want the baffle's to force all the fire/heat to pass up through the flue's. When I built mine I put the baffle/firebrick's right behind the grate's and they angle slightly rearward up to a few inches beyond the front of the flue's. There's about a three or four inch opening there. Then I have firebrick's right up to about a quarter of an inch away from the bottom of the flue pan all the way back to about the same three or four inches shy of the end of the flue's.

This way, all the heat is forced up into the flue's through the forward "opening". Then all the heat can only travel through the flue's to the rear "opening" and then from there it drop's down and then goes up again out the stack.

I hope this help's. Good luck.

Steve

ryan marquette
01-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the helpful info. I was also wondering how long to make the firebox?
Ryan

danno
01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
The fire box on my 3x10 accepts 40" grates, so the fire box is probably about 41".

Cardigan99
01-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Ryan, Danno. are your pans exactly 3x3 and 3x7 (as in 36x84)?? I am planning on building a 3x10 and want to build the arch to fit the pans.

Thanks

Todd

csteves
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Maple Trader, but I'd just like to say, this site is full of information, you all have a ton of great information!

I too am thinking about building myself a set of pans. Currently we're using a small 2'x6' Leader from abou the 1970's and a smaller home made set of 2'x2' and 4'x4' pans. However, we've expanded in the last few years and I'd like to expand more so I've been thinking about going in for the long haul and doing a 2'x8' or 3'x10' foot setup.

But, I've got a few questions. Is it sort of a general rule of thumb that the syrup pan is usually 1/3 the length of the arch, and the flue pan is generally 2/3rds? Also, does anyone have experience making drop/raised flue pans? I can see where it's going to be a challenge, but I've got some ideas that I think might be pretty useful.

Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful!

brookledge
02-07-2008, 06:07 PM
One thing to remember with a flue pan is if it is a drop flue you need to keep the flues back away from the fire box so that you don't hit them when fireing.
But you are right that most are around 2/3 of the arch
Keith

danno
02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Ryan, Danno. are your pans exactly 3x3 and 3x7 (as in 36x84)?? I am planning on building a 3x10 and want to build the arch to fit the pans.

Thanks

Todd

Sorry I never responded, I never saw your re-post until just now. My pans are exactly 10x3. Flue is 3x7 and syrup is 3x3. That being said make sure you leave about 8-10" for your base stack and another 1" or so if you want to put any rolled insulation between your pans. I have not measured the actual arch, but I would guess it's about 10' 8". I can measure it if you would like.

How's your arch building project coming.

Cardigan99
02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Danno, thanks for the heads up. I've always wondered about the actual size of pans but never have a tape measure with me when I see one. Project is just in the planning phase now. I'll boil on the oil tank again this season and see what I can pull together in the off season.