PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a quiet high vacuum pump

DocsMapleSyrup
03-26-2021, 10:44 PM
I'm starting to look for a quiet running vacuum pump that will pull 28" Hg or better. I will only have up to 750 taps max but don't care for the noise of my Gast 2567. Suggestions.

TapTapTap
03-27-2021, 07:46 AM
My Busch 3.5 hp runs at 82 dB right at the pump. I keep it in a cargo box located behind my sugarhouse so I'm not annoyed by it. My bigger noise maker is the air compressor which I keep in the same location.
Ken

DrTimPerkins
03-28-2021, 09:33 AM
Depends on the pump. Some are quieter than others. None are especially quiet. Like Ken, we keep ours outside the sugarhouse (in a separate building) along with the compressor.

DocsMapleSyrup
03-30-2021, 08:44 PM
I'm sure putting it in a separate building or outside the building is nice, and I have my Gast 2567 on the other side of the wall from the sugar shack but it is noisy. I'm looking for something you can carry a conversation over when it's on the other side of the wall without having to raise your voice.

maple flats
03-31-2021, 02:14 PM
I had an old BB4 piston pump. It sat outside about 25' away from the sugarhouse. It was barely audible in the sugarhouse and it had no box or sound deadener. However, I have it sold. Look for a big old BB4 (Babson Bros) or Alamo SP21 pump, they run quietly. On my BB4 I got 27" vacuum on a tight system.

johnallin
03-31-2021, 04:40 PM
I'm sure putting it in a separate building or outside the building is nice, and I have my Gast 2567 on the other side of the wall from the sugar shack but it is noisy. I'm looking for something you can carry a conversation over when it's on the other side of the wall without having to raise your voice.

I have an AirTech L25 pump. As I don't have 240 V in the sugar house; it lives in my boat shop about 40' away.

It runs quiet enough that we can sit on the Chesterfield (couch) by the Bullerjan (wood stove) tell lies and have a Silver Spray (beer) on a Wednesday evening without having to raise our voices. The shop is 32'x42'...

It may be worth your while to go look at one. CDL carried them a few years back.

collinsmapleman2012
04-01-2021, 07:48 AM
atlas copco for sure. my dad was standing 20 feet from it and asking when I was going to turn the pump on. it had been on for 3 hours. he's just starting to be a little hard of hearing but i have to listen hard to hear it when i park about 120 ft away. mine is a gv60, but a gv 20 would work well for you, got it from MES.

heus
04-01-2021, 08:57 AM
I know what you mean about wanting to be able to carry on a conversation in the sugarhouse without shouting. When I first had my Gast 3040 pump it was right outside the sugarhouse. That, in addition to my piston pump reverse osmosis made the noise almost unbearable in the sugarhouse. Ended up moving it to its own little enclosure about 100 feet away and it was still fairly loud. Dont get a rotary vane pump if you want quiet :lol:

wiam
04-01-2021, 10:09 AM
I know what you mean about wanting to be able to carry on a conversation in the sugarhouse without shouting. When I first had my Gast 3040 pump it was right outside the sugarhouse. That, in addition to my piston pump reverse osmosis made the noise almost unbearable in the sugarhouse. Ended up moving it to its own little enclosure about 100 feet away and it was still fairly loud. Dont get a rotary vane pump if you want quiet :lol:

Rotary vane pumps are not all the same. My small Busche pump is not much louder than a refrigerator.

heus
04-01-2021, 04:36 PM
Rotary vane pumps are not all the same. My small Busche pump is not much louder than a refrigerator.
Ok a Gast 1550, 3040, or 2567 rotary vane