PDA

View Full Version : sand is insane right now

tapdrinker
03-26-2021, 08:40 AM
I'm fighting sand like crazy with filters everywhere in mid vermont. Anyone else seeing this this year?
I can pour about 1 gal of syrup before I need to change the filter out then let it settle. It's seriously bad for me this yr.

HillsideMaple
03-26-2021, 08:47 AM
My last 2 boils have show a big increase in sugar sand. For me it just means changing the filters more often. It’s just one of those years.

levic900rr
03-26-2021, 01:14 PM
My first boil was very sandy. After that it cleared up. So weird...

eagle lake sugar
03-26-2021, 06:59 PM
I'm at the northern tip of Maine and we're two weeks early this year, usually I don't get much before April. I've never has such clean sap as this year. I can boil 3 times without cleaning the pans, no niter whatsoever.

GeneralStark
03-26-2021, 09:37 PM
Very little niter here which is very unusual. So far, every time I have cleaned the syrup pans there has been zero build up on the pans and a quick spray with the hose has brought them back to squeaky clean. So weird...

stoweski
03-27-2021, 05:22 AM
I’ve been draining and pulling my syrup pan after every boil & giving it a good cleaning because of the sand and buildup on the bottom. It’s been high for me as well. Usually I can just reverse it and wait 2-3 boils before I have to drain and clean.

BAP
03-27-2021, 06:54 AM
Very little niter here which is very unusual. So far, every time I have cleaned the syrup pans there has been zero build up on the pans and a quick spray with the hose has brought them back to squeaky clean. So weird...
My uncle, who boiled for many decades told me that the more nitre on the pans, the more syrup that you will make in the season. If there is no nitre, then it will be a poor year. Over the years I have observed that to be a true observation.