PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a good hydrometer

ebliese
03-25-2021, 07:42 PM
We wound up breaking a hydrometer on our last day of boiling. Thankfully we had a spare on hand. Now looking for a replacement one and have a few criteria-a mark blown into the glass to show if the paper slips and a stretched out scale (shows every .2 Brix). Anyone have a suggestion? The descriptions of the ones we've looked at aren't the most helpful.

johnallin
03-25-2021, 08:23 PM
This is what I use https://www.smokylakemaple.com/product/gold-series-syrup-hydrometer/

Pdiamond
03-25-2021, 09:20 PM
I'll second the Smoky Lake hydrometer and murphy cup. Can't make a mistake using them.

Z/MAN
03-25-2021, 09:54 PM
Smokey Lake hydrometer and murphy cup. The best.

BAP
03-26-2021, 06:20 AM
I use this one from Bascoms, marked in 0.2 increments, state of Vermont certified and has a red line in the glass at the top for marking the paper.
https://bascommaple.com/collections/evaporator-accessories/products/hsy12

DRoseum
03-26-2021, 06:39 AM
I also use smoky lake gold Vermont certified hydrometer and Murphy cup. It makes this step in the process WAY easier.

Gord
03-26-2021, 06:45 AM
+1 on the Smokey Lake Gold Series Hydrometer and Murphy Cup

DrTimPerkins
03-26-2021, 07:11 AM
+1 on the Smokey Lake Gold Series Hydrometer and Murphy Cup

Agree on both, although we use a Murphy Float more than the Murphy Cup.

Ghs57
03-26-2021, 11:05 AM
Another vote for the Murphy float/SL hydrometer. Sanity saving devices.

ebliese
03-27-2021, 11:34 AM
Thank for the replies, everybody. We do have the Murphy Cup (so that's half the battle). Most of the posts recommend the Smoky Lake Gold series and was curious what attracts people to that? Is it one thing in particular or just overall? The hydrometer we broke was the regular syrup hydrometer by Smoky Lake.

Super Sapper
03-28-2021, 05:49 AM
I bought the gold to check my other ones to make sure they are accurate and keep it stored until I recheck the calibration of the less expensive ones.

Sugarmaker
03-28-2021, 07:03 AM
The SL Gold series hydrometer has the numbers which are very readable to allow easy matching with the brix dial numbers. When they match at any syrup temp in the cup your density is correct.
Regards,
Chris

tapdrinker
03-29-2021, 05:18 AM
I had the smokylake brix hydro for sap-broke on first use. No I didn't misuse it. The glass was so thin it cracked on temp change when I tested the cold sap. I bought a refracto which is a god send when testing individual trees.

Sugarmaker
03-29-2021, 05:47 AM
I had the smokylake brix hydro for sap-broke on first use. No I didn't misuse it. The glass was so thin it cracked on temp change when I tested the cold sap. I bought a refracto which is a god send when testing individual trees.

I believe they are only for syrup. but seems it should have held up in cold sap transition?? I would ask them (SL) about that.

Regards,
Chris

OnePot
03-31-2023, 05:52 PM

It probably wasn't the temp change, you most likely dropped it in the cup or it hit the side. It doesn't take much. They are very fragile pieces of glass. HS kids used to break 3-4 syrup hydrometers in a season doing just that. They broke the sap hydrometer every year but that didn't get replaced. :) I think the el cheapo refractory hydrometers are like 20 bucks on amazon. For sap, I would use one of those, and maybe just check calibration with the sap hydrometer.