PDA

View Full Version : R.O. Question

Agb
03-24-2021, 07:42 AM
Is there any difference at all of sap that has passed through R.O. and sap that is just boiled?

DrTimPerkins
03-24-2021, 07:50 AM
Yes, it is considerably sweeter. :lol:

If the question is whether it makes any difference in terms of quality or flavor of the syrup, the answer is generally no.

https://mapleresearch.org/search/?_sf_s=reverse%20osmosis

NhShaun
03-24-2021, 08:49 AM
Thanks for sharing that! Just the info i was looking for.

Agb
03-24-2021, 02:09 PM
Thank you Dr. Perkins. I was hoping you would be the one to answer my question. Although I wish it was absolutely no, rather than generally no.

DrTimPerkins
03-24-2021, 04:19 PM
...I wish it was absolutely no, rather than generally no.

There are very few absolutes, especially in science and maple.

maple flats
03-24-2021, 07:25 PM
Is your question , Does the syrup that was boiled from sap to syrup density, differ from syrup where sap was run thru an RO and then boiled to syrup density taste any different? My customers don't think so. Taste experts can't tell the difference if there is any. For me, that's good enough. If no taste difference can be detected even by those with an educated pallet, why would you want to use 4,6,8 or 10x or more additional fuel and time just to end up with the same finished product?
That being said, for those who RO to extremely high sugar % concentrations do have their evaporators made differently. Once you go much above 20 % concentrate, and upwards to 35% and above use evaporators with far less flue pans and larger syrup pans. That is because the flavor is developed in the flat pan. For example, At Proctor, along with the other BIG boys concentrate to about 35% sugar in the RO. They use for example an evaporator with a 4' flue pan and a 12' or more flat pan.

Agb
03-25-2021, 06:33 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. Just wanted to be sure before I purchase an R.O. I know just a small change in the process sometimes can change the finished product and I definitely don’t want that.

ecp
03-25-2021, 07:16 AM
It if helps I have never talked to someone that purchased or built and RO that regretted that decision. I have talked to someone that had an RO then got rid of it (downsize for retirement went from 5000 taps to 50). The miss it every day.

DrTimPerkins
03-25-2021, 07:21 AM
That's our experience as well. Once people use RO they don't stop except in rare circumstances like those you mention. Very frequently they'll find more trees to tap since they have so much more time that isn't spent boiling or cutting wood.

springhillsmaple
03-27-2021, 07:07 PM
After 20 years of boiling raw sap, we got an RO last year. The only downside is that I can’t stop thinking about how much of my life I wasted boiling raw sap. Not to mention the wood. In one year we went from 27 cords to 8 and made more syrup.

220 maple
03-27-2021, 09:16 PM
Exact same thing happened to me and my helper 3 years ago bought a used 500 gallon an hour RO, the first time we used it we looked at each other and said we have killed ourselves for 19 years! Never again, maybe 75 percent less firewood, nicer lite syrup , the list goes on and on!
Mark 220 Maple

Sugarmaker
03-28-2021, 07:15 AM
Still boiling raw sap over here. I may be the last one!. I had several runs where I brought home 120 gallons of sap, largest run this year was 900 gallons. Still having fun boiling. Do have the steam away which helps a little. My evaporator chugs along at 120 gallons of sap boiled per hour. Not bragging or complaining just stuck in the middle. If one of the kids or Grand kids wanted to make more syrup, and we had more taps and sap, a 350 to 500 R.O. would be the next step. Yes still burning wood also. Went through about 3.5 cord for 156 gallons of syrup. I know that would be reduced, plus the boil time too.
Regards,
Chris