PDA

View Full Version : H2O2 sterilization

bryankloos
03-22-2021, 07:30 PM
Hey all,

What’s the process for cleaning my 3/16 vac lines with peroxide?
I’m guessing run the pump and let it suck a set concentration through the lines?
Do I need soak time, and a rinse? If so, what’s the best practice for flossing lines and not having them draw through when working from lateral to lateral. I have 6 lines of about 10-15 taps each.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

DrTimPerkins
03-23-2021, 08:24 AM
My first response is to NOT use hydrogen peroxide. In testing at UVM and Cornell it was the least effective in terms of helping maintain good yields and among the least cost effective. Try a chlorine (bleach) or calcium hypochlorite solution instead (the cheap stuff is best...no extra additives or whiteners...it should be fresh, not something you've had around for a year or two), then rinse well with clean water. DO NOT PULL IN UNDER VACUUM. This doesn't allow enough contact time between the sanitizer and the tubing. Inject 10-15 ml of the solution and let it sit for 10-15 in the plugged drops. Then turn on the vacuum and go back and pull the plugs (or pull off the tees). Leave the drops open and let them dangle to drain over the summer.

https://mapleresearch.org/search/?_sf_s=cleaning

maple flats
03-23-2021, 08:24 AM
Yes they need contact time. I used to fill the lines, and let them stay full overnight, then flush with clean water, run til dry. However once I found calcium hydrochloride, after the first year, when I repeated the above method, I just left the calcium bleach in the lines until mid fall.