PDA

View Full Version : NW Vermont Warm Up - What to do with sweet in pans?

m2salmon
03-22-2021, 01:04 PM
It took a lot of blood, sweat, and beers, I mean tears to get our 2x6 pan sweetened. We've cleared 7 gallons and are now wondering what to do with the 15 or so gallons of sweet in the pans with a near term forcast of 60F+ over the next several days.

We've considered:
1. Putting into food grade buckets and immersing in the stream. Tractor supply is sold out of food grade buckets & don't know of another local source.
2. Finish everything in the pan. Hoping for colder weather after this warm up and don't want to go through sweetening the pan again. This may end our season.
3. Leave it in there. Boil a little each night to kill bacteria.

What are you guys doing with yours?

smokeyamber
03-22-2021, 01:27 PM
In the same boat here, but have a bunch of sap to still boil before we hit the 70+ on thursday. I do have one barrel with a sapsicle that will be fine even at 70+. A North facing location with a snowbank ( big one ) has worked for a day or two. In my case I plan to boil it all and empty the pan and clean it up. I will finish on propane and hope for more sap once it gets colder. I have learned that finished syrup in a container is a sure thing compared to near syrup in my pan. Either way this season is gonna be short one so make all you can !

BCPP
03-22-2021, 02:24 PM
I'm going to leave it in the pans. I think bringing to a boil every other day would be ok. Sure has been a short season even if we get a bit next weekend (and that's a big if!!)

bigschuss
03-22-2021, 07:10 PM
It took a lot of blood, sweat, and beers, I mean tears to get our 2x6 pan sweetened. We've cleared 7 gallons and are now wondering what to do with the 15 or so gallons of sweet in the pans with a near term forcast of 60F+ over the next several days.

We've considered:
1. Putting into food grade buckets and immersing in the stream. Tractor supply is sold out of food grade buckets & don't know of another local source.
2. Finish everything in the pan. Hoping for colder weather after this warm up and don't want to go through sweetening the pan again. This may end our season.
3. Leave it in there. Boil a little each night to kill bacteria.

What are you guys doing with yours?

#3...get my pan boiling a little each day. Every other day would probably be fine. I just don't want to chance it.

donka
03-23-2021, 04:10 AM
Same boat in Maine. We are fortunate that we have access to a large walk in cooler so plan on draining evaporator into food grade 5 gallon buckets (from uline) and storing. We will clean evaporator and hope for a weather change, if it doesn’t come, we will finish the concentrate next week. Are there any produce farms in your area? They may have a cooler they aren’t using this time of year. Good luck.
Donk

DrTimPerkins
03-23-2021, 08:16 AM
We are probably either going to boil out the pans at the end of the boil today OR dump the pan contents in the sap tanks and RO it all and send it to the refrigerated bulk tanks. Not sure what is going to happen over the next couple of days, but we don't want to ruin good sweet by adding in bad sap/concentrate (most likely sour sap), so we will keep things segregated until we're sure whether or not what comes in during/after this warm spell is any good.