PDA

View Full Version : Bulk prices

maple flats
03-19-2021, 07:53 PM
Anybody heard recent bulk prices yet?

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-20-2021, 04:53 AM
I have heard nothing definite but there are positive signs. The Canadian dollar is up 4 cents from last year which should improve prices by about 10 cents/lb. Packers including Quebec had a great sales year so inventories of table grade syrup are reduced. This years production has had a slow start.

blissville maples
03-20-2021, 07:02 AM
They will likely be stable or go up slightly. Bascom's big expansion is done so all of us producers are done paying for his new warehouse - that will help!! You know he didn't go to the bank, and didn't come out of his pocket haha!!

But sales have been extremely strong for all packers, I sell to a smaller packer and they were ask me if I knew anybody that had syrup about a month ago as they were scratching around.

The Canadian dollar weakening would help but the way they got that printing press opened up in Washington our American dollar is going to Tumble which affects everything. Funny how these A rods screw shut up and they'll all be dead in the next 10 years and never see any of their impacts but leave everybody children to deal with it, crazy. Hmm hmm Joe biden!!!......

Anyways I wouldn't expect anything crazy you might see dark come up to $2 a pound with Amber 2:10 to 2:15, I wouldn't expect much else unless you can find a smaller packer who shares a little more than Bruce!

fred
03-20-2021, 08:10 AM
Funny how these A rods screw shut up and they'll all be dead in the next 10 years and never see any of their impacts but leave everybody children to deal with it, crazy. Hmm hmm Joe biden!!!......

I wouldn't expect much else unless you can find a smaller packer who shares a little more than Bruce!

while most agree with you." someone" is going to slap your wrist for telling the truth. also while i dont agree with how Bruce and Steve handled the excess with a drop in payments, dont discredit the work they do with the bulk that people dont want to deal with

maple flats
03-20-2021, 10:34 AM
Blissville, as usual you have major negative comments about the big guys.
While I'm not a huge fan of Bruce Bascom, he does a major service to the maple industry. Maybe you should read the book about Bruce's early days. The Sugar Season: A Year in the Life of Maple Syrup... He does go to the bank, however it is sometimes after he has already written a major check.
I wouldn't expect YOU to shine any good light on Bruce.

BAP
03-20-2021, 12:01 PM
Everyone complains about the big bulk buyers, but they in turn, line right up at their doorsteps at the end of the season to sell their barrels of syrup to turn around and buy more equipment to expand next year. If there wasn’t buyers like Bascoms and others, then who would you sell your syrup to so you can keep expanding?

fred
03-20-2021, 12:27 PM
dont forget the decades of advertising and promotion of maple others, like bruce and a long list in the maple hall of fame, did for you to sell your product without hesitation.

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2021, 12:07 PM
Pertinent to this conversation.... https://www.uvm.edu/extension/agriculture/maple/bizmodules/node/add/sap-pricing

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2021, 01:02 PM
...while most agree with you." someone" is going to slap your wrist for telling the truth...

What is being referred to is the need to keep this resource apolitical. Feel free to think whatever you like about any politician -- but keep it off this board. I've been on a few other really fun and interesting web boards, until they absolutely blew apart due to political fighting. We don't need any of that BS here, so the leash is going to be kept rather short.

pete3046
03-21-2021, 08:56 PM
What is being referred to is the need to keep this resource apolitical. Feel free to think whatever you like about any politician -- but keep it off this board. I've been on a few other really fun and interesting web boards, until they absolutely blew apart due to political fighting. We don't need any of that BS here, so the leash is going to be kept rather short.

good for you Dr Tim!

sg5054
03-31-2021, 12:55 PM
I just called Bascom's this morning and they quoted me 2.50/lb for "field run" dark robust in 55g drum. I'm not familiar with the field run term. I called another producer here in Maine and dark robust was 3.00/ lb.
My season was a bust and I am considering buying a barrel to repack. I'll have to buy 1 barrel at a time as I don't have the space for more.

Thanks Dr. Tim for managing the throttle.

n8hutch
03-31-2021, 12:57 PM
Field run means that you may need to filter it and adjust density before packing. You may not either its a toss up.

sg5054
03-31-2021, 12:59 PM
Thanks Nate

mbascom
03-31-2021, 01:12 PM
I just called Bascom's this morning and they quoted me 2.50/lb for "field run" dark robust in 55g drum. I'm not familiar with the field run term. I called another producer here in Maine and dark robust was 3.00/ lb.
My season was a bust and I am considering buying a barrel to repack. I'll have to buy 1 barrel at a time as I don't have the space for more.

Thanks Dr. Tim for managing the throttle.

It's basically like Nate said. "Field run" is exactly how we bought it from other producers before we re-filter, repack etc. We only sell field run to other producers who have the equipment and knowledge to repack it to supplement their own production if they run short.

maple flats
03-31-2021, 01:41 PM
Was that for you to buy, or you to sell?

GeneralStark
03-31-2021, 02:29 PM
Was that for you to buy, or you to sell?

The way I read sg’s post is they are talking about buying a barrel of syrup so the price mentioned is what bascoms is SELLING syrup for.

Probably worth clarifying that before people think they’re going to be paid $2.50 a lb for DR deliver to bascoms loading dock.

Father & Son
04-01-2021, 04:23 AM

Thank you Dr. Tim!

BAP
04-01-2021, 06:06 AM
Yesterday I called Bascoms for pricing to sell syrup to them.
Golden $2.20
Amber. $2.15
Dark $2.05
VD. $1.85
These prices are most likely mid season interm prices and will probably be changed or set come May.

ecp
04-01-2021, 07:06 AM
ouch that's lower than I was expecting, but they hold the cards. Does anyone know what the organic premium is looking like this year?

Does anyone know what butternuts prices are? Generally they are better than other buyers when you take into account the bonus for being over a certain poundage and bonus for having your own barrels. Also in the past I have heard its one price for all grades there which would help in not getting docked for darer grades.

BAP
04-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Well that’s also mid season prices plus it’s higher than last year. I definitely wouldn’t rush to sell any at the point until the season ends and the price is set

maple flats
04-01-2021, 08:57 AM
I rushed to buy, but cut out the dealer. I far prefer to buy from local producers and I pay them a slightly higher price so they gain in 2 ways, no time and fuel to take it to the big buyers, and I pay the bonus.

Gr8dad
04-03-2021, 07:46 PM
Agreed. Thanks doctor.

PCFarms
04-25-2023, 12:32 PM
I have been speaking with a few producers in Quebec/Maine, most of the northern producers had a bad year, in some cases worse than 2021.
I suspect that the total production this year will be less than demand. I wouldn't be giving away syrup this year for anything but top dollar.

plattmaple
04-25-2023, 04:49 PM
I have been speaking with a few producers in Quebec/Maine, most of the northern producers had a bad year, in some cases worse than 2021.
I suspect that the total production this year will be less than demand. I wouldn't be giving away syrup this year for anything but top dollar.I did see the prices came down .30 cents from last year. Very disappointing!

OneLegJohn
04-29-2023, 06:44 PM
The more I learn about bulk maple syrup prices... the more I realize I don't know squat. I'm a baby in this whole thing! The whole thing is a mystery.

Louie
04-30-2023, 03:50 PM
I suspect that the total production this year will be less than demand. I wouldn't be giving away syrup this year for anything but top dollar.

I agree with you. The southern areas did good but that is not where the big volume is made. If you just followed The Maple News stories about the southern producers you would think it was a record year. The buyers are looking for a reason to pay less. I had been watching the temps for Montreal, Granby and all the way up to Quebec City and it looks like a terrible season. Last week Roth said Canada was just getting going. My thought was they were just getting going on pulling taps. Does anyone know what areas of Canada are the biggest producers?

PCFarms
05-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Most of Quebec's syrup is made on the CAN/US boarder around Maine, up in the mountains. Nearly everyone ended their season in early April with the super warm days. Many hardly had 2 weeks of production. I spoke with folks in northern Maine - same story. Bascoms should be setting the price soon. Lets see what they do.

ennismaple
05-01-2023, 01:37 PM
The 12 producing regions in Quebec can be found at the link below - is in French but you can click on each Region and see where it is on the map and how many millions of taps are in each Region.

https://ppaq.ca/fr/nos-acericulteurs-et-acericultrices/regions-acericoles/

Almost all of Ontario and most of Western Quebec was done by Easter Weekend or just after. We had a week of 20+ Celcius (70 F) that quickly put the season to an end. I can't imagine Quebec and New Brunswick held on much longer.

markcasper
05-01-2023, 04:19 PM
I agree with you. The southern areas did good but that is not where the big volume is made. If you just followed The Maple News stories about the southern producers you would think it was a record year. The buyers are looking for a reason to pay less. I had been watching the temps for Montreal, Granby and all the way up to Quebec City and it looks like a terrible season. Last week Roth said Canada was just getting going. My thought was they were just getting going on pulling taps. Does anyone know what areas of Canada are the biggest producers?

From my understanding, there is so much carryover from the 2022 crop that the price was/is poised to go down regardless of the outcome of the new crop. Sales have declined a bit since covid as well, while the number of taps keep growing.

ecp
05-02-2023, 06:22 AM
rumor has it the prices are $2.30 and $2.20 with a 20-cent organic premium.