PDA

View Full Version : what kind of sap to use for end of season pan cleaning

john henry
03-19-2021, 10:56 AM
I would like to try soaking my pans in sap to clean them as others do. Does it have to be "fresh sap" I use. Or can the sap that is left in my evaporator from my last boil which technically has been pasteurized work? Or could I add some fresh sap to what is left in the pans from my last boil, would that work?

ecolbeck
03-19-2021, 12:17 PM
Nothing stays pasteurized forever.... Any sap will work

maple flats
03-19-2021, 04:20 PM
It could be left, but you will be leaving a lot of sugar to throw away. It's better to boil off what's in the pans, and then fill the pans with new sap, even buddy sap, any sap will clean the pans, after it gets real stinky. Then drain, and flush real well with plenty of potable water. That is usually after 4-8 or even 10 weeks.

Sugarmaker
03-20-2021, 07:17 AM
I would suggest vinegar/ water solution, then warm and wait, warm and wait, brush and little, warm and wait , drain rinse and done.
Regards,
Chris

john henry
03-22-2021, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies!

smokeyamber
03-22-2021, 01:35 PM
I have done both the sap and the vinegar and will likely stick with vinegar. It works in a few days to week and no scrubbing. Plush I can go into the shack in the summer... with sap you really don't want to go in there ! :o

NhShaun
03-22-2021, 02:00 PM
I always use about 4 or 5 gallons of vinegar and water to fill my 2x6 flat pan(8" depth) almost to the top. Bring to a boil and let it sit for a week or so, scrub a bit and rinse thoroughly. Hardly takes any scrubbing and really cleans things up nicely especially in the hard to reach areas.