PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in New York

eye8astonie
01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I had posted this in the "Started in the Catskills" thread, but decided to start a new one since that was from last year and had 34 pages already!

Looking forward to seeing when everyone else taps in our area, and wondering who else is around the Central New York area.

We're in Whitney Point, NY and have just a little backyard operation. We tapped 26 trees Sunday afternoon, and had 40 gallons of sap by yesterday afternoon. They were still running like crazy last night. From the clarity I assume the sugar volume is low though.

We weren't going to start this early, but just got an offer on our house and looks like we're going to close in early March, so I figured I'd better get going if we're going to do any before we move! First 80 gallons are going in the carboy for a maple vanilla beer!

Hope everyone has a good season!
Duane

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
The clarity would be a result of fresh clean holes and no bacteria. Sugar content wouldn't have anything to do with clarity. It is a sign of low bacteria sap that would make lighter syrup.

eye8astonie
01-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Well that's what I get for thinking! :)

Thanks for the correction. I always learn something new, every time I log on here!

Duane

danno
01-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Duane, where in WP do you live? My in-laws live just west of the the 81 overpass on the "back road to Lisle" next to the horse farm. The Dauley's. Spend quite a bit of time down there. I'm in Jordan/Elbridge.

eye8astonie
01-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey Danno, we're up on the other side of the reservoir from them. On the edge of the town of Triangle actually. I think I know where your parents are... is that Whitakker's farm that they're near?

Duane

MarkMcQ
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I thought about tapping this week, but decided that since I'm still trying to cobble together a evaporator, that I would not fire up the turkey fryers again, from last year's rookie season.
I have located a donor 275 gal oil tank, and now looking/figuring what to do for pans. I will have approx 27x60" to work with, and willing to spend for nice ones that provide preheating and draw-off. looking to minimize scooping too. I will be setting this up with sand and firebrick, and expect to "arch it" inside front to back, with a syrup pan in front and flue pan in back.
I should be doubling my taps to the 40-50 range thanks to availablity of some roadside trees in the "neighborhood". My buddy up outside of Potsdam, NY has found some 55 gallon plastic drums for me ( food grade sez he...) for $ 5.00 apiece, that I can carry carry in my "new" '92 chevy pickup ( ebay, 1500.00 runs like a champ!). So, the bulk of logistics have solutions, but I would like all ideas what I can do for pans or even who I should order some from once I have hard final dimensions from the oil tank conversion. All thoughts/opinions needed !!

Thanks-
MarkMcQ
Marcellus, Onondaga Co.
Central New York

Gary R
01-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Mark,

I made one of those this summer. I have pictures on a thread under homemade equipment. Instead of sand, I welded some braces and used sheetmetal to fill the space in the lower back. As far as pan size you might want to consider if you are insulating and bricking. I have 1" ceramic insulation and 2" fire brick. I went with the thick brick because I didn't mortar. I also didn't bring my pan to the front edge of the arch because I figured there won't be much fire there. My pan size is only 18X49. Mostly because thats the size I could make with the free stainless I have. It has 3 sections and a draw off. I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend on a pan and flue pan. If you can weld stainless, you might want to find a fabricating shop that will at least cut and bend some stainless for you. I'm sure others here can direct you to someone that can custom make flue pans for you if moneys no problem. Good luck.

danno
01-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Mark -

If you decide to use insulating blanket or board, shoot me a PM. I got more then I need from a local distributor who gave me a price I could not refuse. I will have left over once I'm done insulating my arch.

MarkMcQ
01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Gary R- Thanks , nice rig there.....I had to look at the bat mobile twice to see that it was parked in front of the tractor, and not some huge tire thing hanging off the back!
All the people who contacted me with free/cheap tanks are strangely silent after I shoot back a mail and ask where they are, whether the tank leaks, access, etc. Still I expect to get one shortly. I'm not a welder, and have a local guy that going to convert the tank for me. I've gotten some initial quotes from a guy in WI that fabricates SS pans, at a reasonable price. I got a price from one of the "big boys" for a 2x2 and a 2x4 that would work together, and that was about 1600......thanks for the input on the arching...
Danno- Thanks for the shout-out. I will PM you when I get closer, as that would save me buying blanket on ebay, etc. I like the sounds of your new arch......

maple flats
01-11-2008, 04:19 PM
For pans check to find what is available in good used from Bascom or any dealer closer to you. Many take trades and resell.

danno
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi Duane -

My sister-in-law, Yvonne Jackson lives next to Whittaker's farm with her husband and 3 boys. My in-laws are on the next road N. of rte 26.

There's a pretty big producer on 26 between WP and Triangle.

andrew martin
01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I used to live in the Catskills ( now in Central KY) and went to school at Syracuse U. My parents once owned a small lakehouse on Bloody Pond, which is actually in Marathon, NY. I loved going there, and the fishing was always great, caught a 7 lb. largemouth out of that lake once, and tons of perch. Sure miss that place. My mom's cousin now owns it.

Andrew