PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Syrup By Simmering Rather Than Full Boil.

Jeeves
03-18-2021, 03:06 PM
I have been experimenting with the final stages of boiling by reducing the heat on my finishing pan to a very low rolling simmer. Once I have reduced the sap from
(for example) 50 gal. to 5 gal. (90% reduction) I transfer to a pan that I boil at a much lower heat. It takes a bit longer and more fuel but the end result is equally superb clean clear syrup and NO NITER!!! I brix out at 67 to 68. Also, easier clean up on the pan and very little remainder in the filter. I have done this with the Black Walnut and the Maple I have processed with excellent results for both. I have been sugaring for about 35 years and have been doing this for the last 7 years with no untoward effects. Has anyone else tried this or can anyone tell me if there is a good reason (outside of fuel savings) why I should not be doing this?
Thanks so much and best of all,
Johnny (Jeeves)

maple flats
03-18-2021, 04:28 PM
We sort of did something similar back in the 70's and early 80's but in reverse. Back then we only had between 7 and 9 taps, 3 on sugar maples, the rest on box elders (ash leaf maples). We simmered everything on the wood stove in the living room, with 2 windows partially open for a cross breeze. Then as it neared syrup density, we boiled it on the gas stove in the kitchen to finish it. It worked fine. I see no reason it wouldn't be good.

Sugarmaker
03-18-2021, 08:45 PM
Interesting that there would be no niter! Humm. Better see What Dr. Perkins has to comment on that one? Good job!
Keep simmering I guess??:)
Regards,
Chris

Galena
03-19-2021, 09:17 PM
I've done this too, many times over the last 2-3yrs, finishing syrup at a low simmer on my cast iron woodstove. Problem is, the syrup tends to be too dense and so have to add fresh sap or distilled water to get it right.