PDA

View Full Version : 2-Handed tubeing tool

tyrod2
01-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Hell0 Maybe someone can help me on how to put the tubing on the Y part of a T/Y with a 2 handed tubing tool. This always gives me trouble when I get to my T/Y's. I have learned a lot from you guys and I read your posts and ideas every day. This is my fifth year and I love it. THANK YOU

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
A one handed tubing tool works best if you have one. I carry both with me at all times when I am installing or repairing and couldn't imagine trying to do it without both.

Dave Y
01-08-2008, 04:32 PM
tyrod2
I just finished put up 1000 taps. On occasion I put in a t or y with my 2 handed tool. I would clamp the tubing in one side and place the side of the fitting with out the barbed end against the closed side of the tool and squeeze them together. Worked real well for me. There wasnt a job I couldnt do with my tw handed tool.

New Hope Mapleman
01-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Y's in 5/16" is something we have quit using at all. They seem to always give me trouble-breaking or sap build-up. Just my two cents

MR Electrician
01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
we dont use a tool for doing tubing just bring a thermos of hot watter
dip the end of the tube in hot water and it gets real supple now you can insert the tube over the barb with yr hands.
works on 1" poly tube as well.
happy t:confused: ubing

VA maple guy
01-09-2008, 12:30 AM
If you have a small operation like me and don't want to buy the right tools.
Try one of those Bernzomatic instant light peizo propane torches.
Carfully wave the torch back and forth over the end of the line for about five seconds. That's what I do, It works great.

Gerry

Dave Y
01-09-2008, 05:12 AM
You can carry as many thermos and torches to the woods you want. If you start putting up any amount of tubing you will be glad you have the right tools.

ibby458
01-09-2008, 05:36 AM
I just got done building a parallel action 1 handed tool. It works great on anything BUT those Ys. It can be done by holding the fitting in position with one hand, and closing the tool by pressing one handle against your body and pulling (pushing?) with the other. Still gotta reposition occasionally.

maplwrks
01-09-2008, 06:31 AM
I Don't Think You Can Build A Quality Tubing System Without A Tubing Tool. Whether You Use A 1 Hand Or 2 Hand Tool Is Up To You. When You Use A Torch To Heat The Tubing, You Compromise The Integrity Of The Tubing. I Have Seen A Lot Of Tubing That Leaked And Pulled Apart Afterheating With A Torch. I Don't Feel That You Can Get The Tubing Tight Enough Using A Torch Or Hot Water---It Also Takes Too Much Time To Do The Work.

tyrod2
01-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I guess everyone has there own way of putting in a Y . I came up with a way to do it today. I cut a one inch block of hard wood and drilled a hole in it at an angle to hold the straight part of the Y . That made the Y part stick straight up. I put the tubing in my tubing tool and It worked great and went together easy. I put it in the fitting box on my four wheeler.When I come to those Y's I will have it handy.

maplecrest
01-09-2008, 08:53 PM
hot water and torches to put tubing togather is a big no no. if you use vacuum you are going to have majors leaks at those fittings. i have seen major leaks in gravity systems when heat was used. also the tubing will spin on the fittings. guess would make the drops easy to tap

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I keep a lot of tension on my tubing and try to keep it fairly tight and snug. I would think that this would be the first place it would pull apart if it were stressed any where it is heated connecting the "t" or other fittings. For drops you should be ok as long as you don't have vaccum.

MR Electrician
01-11-2008, 05:53 AM
well guys i have to say that so far i have only had 1 tube pull out of the barb and that was b cause it was still warm.
we too pull and stretch our tubing nice and tight and have no probs.
if i notice anything happening i will keep you informed .
but i would think that a $20.00 bag of ty raps would still be cheaper than the $200.00 tool and will last just as long.
wrap one around the barb and pull tight this will seal the barb and hold the tubing in place better than any tool can.

just my 2 cents
:rolleyes:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-11-2008, 07:03 PM
my 2 cents would be to try to repair a bad place in a lateral line with a lot of tension and it is 20 degrees outside which makes the tubing contract and even more tension without a 2 handed tubing tool. I know it can be done, but it is much easier and much faster with a 2 handed tubing tool. When you work full time and live 30 minutes from the sugarbush and have little help, $ 160 for the tubing tool was well worth it to me.

jemsklein
01-11-2008, 08:22 PM
well up here the tubing tool costs around $210 but in your case it would be worth it but for me i always have some one with me for safty reasons with the tractor

Russell Lampron
01-12-2008, 05:40 AM
I have been turning wrenches for a living for 30+ years and have found that things always go much easier when you have the right tool for the job regardless of the price! I have both the one handed and the two handed tools and wouldn't be without them.

Russ

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-12-2008, 01:20 PM
i am with RUSS on this 1 ..mechanic for 40 years and its always better and easier with the right tools.

RICH