PDA

View Full Version : Ice hates my Sap Guzzlers - need help

randomseeker
03-17-2021, 08:31 AM
This is my first year using 'real' vacuum - Bosworth Sap Guzzlers. The pumps themselves will generate 22" deadheaded but degrade quickly in operation. The problem seems to be ice. I have very flat bushes, all red maples in water. I have run 1" mainlines (4) each with 5/16" laterals each connecting 4 or 5 trees - 400 in total. All mainlines and vacuum pumps run in the bush (generators) and pump the sap into holding tanks locally. Preseason all tested really well after tapping generating 18 to 20" vacuum. Now that the sap is running the vacuum suffers - it turns out to be ice in the mainlines that does not melt the way it does in the laterals. I have installed quick connects at the end of each mainline so that I can disconnect the pumps and the mainlines prior to the shut off valves by the pumps. Because my bush is flat I installed the mainlines with about 1% slope stretching about 300 feet each. As the first sap runs completed I find the the following morning ice has jammed the mainlines near the pump and won't melt soon enough. On a 3C to 5C degree day it may not melt at all. So now my process is to disconnect the mainlines and leave them open to drain residual sap directly to ground overnight to avoid freezing (I still don't know whether this is going to be effective yet).

1. I have tried using particle traps to capture the ice prior to the pump but I can't seem to get them to hold vacuum. Can anyone suggest a product I can install prior to the pump? This at least will reduce my diaphram wear (I have gone through several already)
2. Does anyone have a strategy for avoiding ice build up in the mainlines other than I am suggesting above?

Thanks in advance.

Ultimatetreehugger
03-17-2021, 10:23 AM
Heat tape works great for me.

Arctic Fox
03-18-2021, 11:43 AM
If you haven't tried an inline strainer (https://www.vacmotion.com/Products/InlineFilters.aspx?SubCategory=Large%20Series) for your pump to protect it from ice I'd suggest it. They seem to work well for me, and I mount them with the strainer and bowl up.

snowmountainfarm
03-18-2021, 11:54 AM
Hi Bob,

Below are some pics of my Guzzler set up. I have a semi-insulated box where the pump and a Mountain Maple Controller are mounted. Outside the box I have a clear PVC pipe with a stainless steel strainer I made. The strainer catches quite a bit of nasty junk the first few runs and has never plugged up. I have a Ink Bird thermostat controlling 2 flood lights for heat. I have PVC unions attaching the housing to the pump and mainline. I have a valve on the mainline which I can close to check for leaks in the pump set up. With this valve closed, it holds 26".
22267 Pump
22268Pump Box
22269 Housing
22270 Strainer

Jack

thebaler1
03-21-2021, 04:27 PM
i also bought a g2 guzzler and it dosnt work worth a **** for me, plenty of slope in the lines but wont pull any vac, when the unit is deadheaded it will pull 26, i should have just ponied up another grand and bought a real vac, definitly going to sell it at the endof the season. anyone looking for a good deal on the guzzler, its brand new

snowmountainfarm
03-21-2021, 06:28 PM
i also bought a g2 guzzler and it dosnt work worth a **** for me, plenty of slope in the lines but wont pull any vac, when the unit is deadheaded it will pull 26, i should have just ponied up another grand and bought a real vac, definitly going to sell it at the endof the season. anyone looking for a good deal on the guzzler, its brand new

If you are not pulling any vacuum you must have leaks. I have 2500’ of 1” mainline with 900 taps. I routinely pull 21-23”. It has to be absolutely tight though. 6 squirrel chews will bring it under 10”. A “real” vacuum system sure would be nice to have more forgiveness with the leaks.

Jack