PDA

View Full Version : Storing concentrate

tonka
03-16-2021, 07:19 PM
If concentrate, 20%, is packaged hot in barrels for short period will it stay good? I would assume so since its packaged hot in a sealed barrel.

Bucket Head
03-16-2021, 09:41 PM
That's a good and interesting question. I would assume so also- since it would be like canning- preserving so nothing spoils. But I don't know if something "funny" would take place because it would be just sugar and water and not of syrup density, which is what is needed for safe bottling.

tonka
03-17-2021, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't think there would be any funny stuff going on because in a way it's kind of like the syrup when canning any type of fruit.

BCPP
03-17-2021, 11:52 AM
If concentrate, 20%, is packaged hot in barrels for short period will it stay good? I would assume so since its packaged hot in a sealed barrel.
If by hot you mean over 180 and you fill barrels to top it should be fine. Just beware that 180 kills all bacteria and mold spore but unless you sterilize the barrels there will be head space that can contain mold spores that will survive unless in contact with the hot concentrate. Nothing mold likes better than a 20% sugar solution to feed off of! Of course if you're storing outside and temps remain below about 40 you'd be ok for short periods in any event.