PDA

View Full Version : How high is too high?

wnybassman
03-14-2021, 01:17 PM
The flu pan sugar is creeping up there on my little 18x60 raised flu. Just checked with refractometer and it is 29%. Just making sure this isn't too high, or as long as it's not making syrup back there I'm good?

Pdiamond
03-14-2021, 10:36 PM
I have never tested my rear pan. gives me ideas though.

tcross
03-15-2021, 05:53 AM
never measured mine either. Heck, i think UVM concentrates their sap to similar levels before putting it in the evaporator... don't worry about it.

DrTimPerkins
03-15-2021, 08:14 AM
never measured mine either. Heck, i think UVM concentrates their sap to similar levels before putting it in the evaporator... don't worry about it.

We concentrate to 35-36 Brix (photo below is auto-refractometer coming off the RO), then send it to the evaporator. Comes out of the backpan about 40 Brix. Our rig is different than a standard evaporator though. It's a 4' x 12', but only 4' is backpan.

Realistically, as long as you're drawing off regularly or continuously, the gradient will adapt.

For those tech junkies out there....the box on the right is an auto-brix adjuster. You set the brix target level you desire, and the machine adjusts the flows to hit that target. No more fiddling with little adjustments....just set the brix you want and walk away. The box on the left displays the in-line Brix level after the adjuster. The gauges in the back measure flow of sap, permeate and concentrate into and out-of the machine. The flow going into the machine is huge, but the concentrate flow out is really small...but it sure is sweet.

wnybassman
03-15-2021, 05:23 PM
Doesn't sound like it is an issue then. Thanks!

HazensNotchSugarShack
03-19-2021, 06:26 AM
First time I ever checked it and probably the last?

37 Brix

Happy boiling!!