PDA

View Full Version : Who is still hoping for sap?

4rjn
03-12-2021, 05:07 PM
Hi just wondering if trees were budding yet in anyone’s bush as I am hoping that the season is not over.

RC Maple
03-13-2021, 06:04 AM
Right now, my phone says it is 26 degrees here. That is as cold as it will likely get in any of the forecasts I have seen. We'll see if that's enough to get them going again after the last few days. In a few hours we will know if it was cold enough.

buckeye gold
03-13-2021, 06:19 AM
It's over here in southern Ohio. I quit Tuesday. I have already scrubbed down the evaporator, scrubbed tanks and packed away all the gear from the sugar shack. Yesterday I pulled taps and flushed the 3/16 lines with calcium hypochloride and capped them off. I made just short of my syrup goal, but almost half of it came from early taps. Feb. sucked big time.

heus
03-13-2021, 06:30 AM
4rjn it is still mid season in northern Ohio. Maybe southern Ohio is done, but we have a ways to go!

RC Maple
03-13-2021, 08:48 AM
If it runs here today, it should freeze again Sunday night and again later in the week. There may be just enough freezing nights scattered around to keep the season going. I tapped February 21. We had a good 2 1/2 weeks but want to see this go a while longer.

Redbean
03-13-2021, 02:45 PM
Its still running in southeastern Ohio for me! I bet Monday will be my last day! I have made 17gallons off of 51 taps so far! Thats 4 gallons less from last year. I didnt get to tap early because i was still building the new sugar house. It wasnt that bad of a year.

4rjn
03-14-2021, 09:31 PM
Thanks Guys, its not looking good here in Geauga County. we only got about 2" in buckets the last 2 days and the trees look like they are about to bud. We have only made 14 gallons so far this year as the trees have never really run like they have in the past.

RC Maple
03-16-2021, 07:51 AM
I did get to gather sap on Saturday. There was about a half gallon run, so just a short boil on Sunday to get caught up. They were dripping yesterday when I checked the buckets but with the wind blowing, I thought I'd leave some weight in the buckets until today and then see how much we get. I doubt we can go much longer.