PDA

View Full Version : Can I legally sell a few extra pints on Facebook or Craigslist if i have extra?

Fun4stuff
03-12-2021, 08:52 AM
I just make syrup for friends and family as a hobby. This year I may have a bit extra. Can I sell the extra locally? I’m in Michigan. Only talking about selling 10-20 pints probably.

Galena
03-12-2021, 08:58 AM
Probably best to check local rules and regs as you're selling a food product. If you do choose to sell, make sure everything is in perfect condition - new jugs/bottles, lids and hotpack it properly. Good luck!

Ed R
03-12-2021, 12:33 PM
You need to have a label with your address/contact information on it. It should have a phone # or website contact as well. It needs to have a statment that "this product has been produced in a facility not inspected by the Michigan Dept of Agriculture and Rural Development". The size of the containers have to be spelled out. The syrup must be completely filtered and proper density (what Galena said ). You don't have to grade it in Mi. yet but it is a good idea to do and label that as well. You also need to date it or code it somehow in case there is a problem with a batch.

Fun4stuff
03-12-2021, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the help!

MISugarDaddy
03-13-2021, 05:08 AM
Everything that Ed R. said.
To see an example of the labels you are required to use, check out Sugar Bush Supplies website and look at the labels toward the back of their catalog. Just remember, even though you are not licensed, you still have to meet all the food safety requirements of a licensed producer.
Gary