PDA

View Full Version : Oil fired arch advice

DocsMapleSyrup
03-12-2021, 04:45 AM
My sugarbush is growing from 300 taps on high vacuum to 500 taps next spring. I built a 2 post 4x40 RO to help with boiling; however, my wife and I are wanting to move away from wood. Currently I have a 2x8 drop flue wood evaporator and boil in the 60 gph range. I am thinking an oil fired arch is the answer for us. I do have some questions. Are there any manufacturers out there that have a superior oil fired arch? Would I be best off selling my complete wood fired arch and purchasing a new oil fired rig designed for oil or would I be better off converting my wood arch to an oil unit? What are your opinions on reverse fired or front fired oil arches? With having the RO, would I be able to downsize to a 2x6 arch? I realize the cost of oil is higher than wood, but what can I expect for oil cost/gallon of syrup produced?

maple flats
03-12-2021, 09:56 AM
Many have done that conversion themselves, I'd likely opt for selling the wood arch and buy the oil one. I guess it all depends on how handy you are. loot at how others converted and decide which route is best for you.