PDA

View Full Version : Maple Science Project - 1st Grader

SapSipper
01-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi there, I'm a backyarder in Southwestern CT.

My Daughter has an upcoming school science fair and I thought 'what a great opportunity to do something on maple syrup!'

One caveat, the rules say it must be Experimental, not illustrative.

So, here's what I have planned, anyone else ever do this with a YOUNG child?

Science Question to be answered during the fair/study:
Do Red Maples or Suger Maples have a higher suger content in the sap?

How I plan on executing:
Tap at least 5 reds and 5 sugers, gather exact same volume of sap then boil down. Here is where it gets cloudy for me. I need to measure the resulting volume of suger product in order to determine which variety of tree has a higher suger content per a volume of sap. What do you think is the best way to get the sap to crystaline suger stage?

I am very open to other ideas you have or have tried with your kids, only caveat is that it has to be applicable or realistic for a young kid, thus, no refractometers or other complex equipments..

Thoughts??

Many thanks!

Brent
01-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Well, it's been done many times before and the numbers are on the record. Doesn't mean it won't be a good project however.

Boiling will introduce a huge number of variables, including how much you boil each. The easy way is to get a sap hydrometer, that will read in sugar content, typically about 2%.

Serious testing requires looking at the tree canopy, is the crown of the tree large or small, in shade or getting lots of sun, where on the tree to you tap and collecting at the same time of the day because the sugar content will vary during the day from each tree. etc etc

But it should be fund and you should see some real results and that should get some points with the teacher.

thenewguy
01-07-2008, 09:28 AM
wow, sounds like a pretty advanced science fair project for a first grader. Back when I was in grade 1 we were studying barn animal sounds. Good luck with the project, sounds like Dad is going to have more fun with this than your child! lol

SapSipper
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I know, the hard part is trying to keep the project simple so that my kid actually takes part and keeps interest...

Curious about a hydrometer... Are they simple to use? Is that the same thing as a refractometer?

Brent
01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
much less expensive than a refractometer. Maybe $15 - $ 20 bucks.
It seems to me lots of people have them but don't use them much. You may be able to borrow one.

Just get each batch to the same temperature and set them in GENTLY ....
very fragile. Record off the scale.

good luck

325abn
01-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree with thenewguy. Hydrometers a very easy to use the mapleguys sell some good ones at a great price.

MR Electrician
01-07-2008, 10:01 AM
wow things shure have changed .
i remember singing old mac donald had a farm and singing ABCDEFG.

ok suggestion why not boil the sap down to candy and compare density weight colour and taste ,that should be 1 st grade material huh?

and if that dont work ,well try try a project on the molecular structure of the copper atom.or nuclear fission.

no wonder i dont know half the questions on the show are you smarter than a 5th grader

wow us oldtimers are stupid.

gmcooper
01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Just a thought to keep things simpler for first graders why not just compare the volume of sap produced by red vs sugar maple. I know size and location can play a big part in the variation. Just thinking that this appraoch might be more interesting to them and easier for the kids to under stand. You could continue the project to say that the 5 reds produced x gallons syrup and the sugars produced y gallons syrup.

Have fun

thenewguy
01-07-2008, 12:30 PM
gmcooper has the right idea, two graduated cylinders or science beakers would be the right idea. Sap A (sugar maple) Sap B (red maple) with different levels of sap in it showing the different levels based of sugar content. There are 2 different levels of sap between 2 trees as because 1 type of tree is sweeter then the other, thus you need more of sap b to make the equivilent of sap A? This may put things in relevnce for the children. Or maybe I'm just confusing you more.... Samples will always keep children coming back for more and more knowledge....