PDA

View Full Version : Infusing maple syrup?

Jaredd91
03-10-2021, 01:52 PM
I was thinking about adding like a touch of apple cider or something to infuse an apple taste to my syrup this year curious if anybody has done something like this or if it will even work?

nas
03-12-2021, 08:48 AM
I haven't tried it, but I think that usually when flavours are infused, a dry flavouring is added like coffee or cinnamon and then the syrup is re-filtered to remove solids. If you added a liquid ingredient then you might have to re-boil the syrup to get back up to density.

Nick

littleTapper
03-12-2021, 08:58 AM
I've done half a cinnamon stick in quarts of syrup. The result is most excellent.

Zucker Lager
03-12-2021, 09:49 AM
I haven't tried it, but I think that usually when flavours are infused, a dry flavouring is added like coffee or cinnamon and then the syrup is re-filtered to remove solids. If you added a liquid ingredient then you might have to re-boil the syrup to get back up to density.

Nick
This place has powdered flavorings, natural and some organic, I purchased their cherry flavoring for something I was doing............no not in maple syrup. I was happy with the product. www.bestflavors.com/flavors/flavor-powder/natural-flavor-powder/c92_240_21/ If you call them they are good about information also Jay

TwoSaps2
03-17-2021, 08:00 AM
I recently did a couple pints of ginger infused syrup just to try it. I started with finished syrup from last year, threw in about an inch of ginger root, sliced thin. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. The result was incredible. I'll be cooking a batch this weekend. The plan is to cook just like normal. When I get within about a half a degree of done, I'll add about an inch of ginger per quart to the syrup until finished. Skim it out prior to filtering. I'll post next week to let you know how it goes. Not doing away with my traditional syrup, but this was darn good!

DrTimPerkins
03-17-2021, 08:05 AM
... when flavours are infused, a dry flavouring is added like coffee or cinnamon and then the syrup is re-filtered to remove solids. If you added a liquid ingredient then you might have to re-boil the syrup to get back up to density.

That is correct. An infusion is when a material (usually plant, herb, spice, etc.) is soaked in syrup for a period of time, then filtered out, leaving the flavor of the infused material imparted into the syrup. Tea is an infusion.

If you add a liquid ingredient...it becomes an ingredient, not an infusion.

Note that regardless of the process, the product made by doing this is no longer PURE MAPLE SYRUP and should not be sold as such.

Lastly, the fine particles used for some infusions can be difficult to filter out. Some of the color bodies in the syrup or material may also form a residue on the bottom of the bottle. That is especially the case when syrup is added to ethanol to make a flavored-alcohol. Both the particles and color bodies may serve as crystallization nuclei for sugar crystals to form in the syrup.

littleTapper
03-17-2021, 11:47 AM
I recently did a couple pints of ginger infused syrup just to try it. I started with finished syrup from last year, threw in about an inch of ginger root, sliced thin. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. The result was incredible. I'll be cooking a batch this weekend. The plan is to cook just like normal. When I get within about a half a degree of done, I'll add about an inch of ginger per quart to the syrup until finished. Skim it out prior to filtering. I'll post next week to let you know how it goes. Not doing away with my traditional syrup, but this was darn good!

Ginger! Brilliant. I bet that is really good!

maple marc
03-18-2021, 05:05 PM
In Ohio and probably other states, you cannot add anything to the syrup and sell it unless you do so in a licensed facility. It becomes a processed food.

TwoSaps2
03-18-2021, 06:31 PM
Well, I may not have made this clear in my earlier post about ginger infused. I don't have to worry about the legalities of selling. All of my syrup is for personal consumption, and given away. I sure do seem to have lots of friends this time of year. Wonder where they all are when it's wood cutting season?

I run 30-50 taps a year, and typically do 3-5 batches.