PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a pan of sap in a divided pan.

ndtempel
03-09-2021, 02:33 PM
Wondering if anyone has added permeate to a divided pan to finish the pan of syrup instead of drawing it off light. Does this work? Will the syrup continue on its gradient from left to right. Will I risk scorching the pan or will it be ok as long as there is 2” or more in the pan at all times? Having a warm up here in SE MN and want to finish the batch in the pan, clean the pan and start fresh hopefully if the weather cooperates.

wmick
03-09-2021, 03:29 PM
Maybe not exactly the same but close... I have a 2ft x 6ft setup... 4ft flu pan and 2ft syrup pan... This is what I posted at the end of season 2020.

At end of season boil, I kept the fire going while I chased the sap in the pans out with pure permeate. Had never tried this before... Other years, I would basically just shut down while I had a bit of sap left in the tank... and drain the pans afterwards to finish boiling on a propane cooker... This year, while feeding permeate in the back end, I actually drew off a couple gallons of finished syrup from my draw off, after I started introducing permeate..... and after shutting down, my syrup pan and float box had 55% concentrate to drain.. and the flue pan had 16%... Maybe everyone does it this way ?? If not, it works pretty good.

ndtempel
03-10-2021, 04:46 AM
It took about 2 hours to reestablish the gradient but adding permeate to finish the pan worked!! Ended up drawing off about 5 gallons of very light syrup. Ran out of time. Appeared as if it would have finished heavier had I had the time to keep adding permeate. Thanks for the reply wmick!