PDA

View Full Version : value in evaporators

Brent
01-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I am in the final stages of sorting out who to order a new 2 x 6 from
I got a quote for a D&G made in Montreal that knocked my socks off, and one from Patrick Pfaneuf that would come in below the price of the D&G AND include the pre-hearter and a steam hood (split steam hood I think)

I also have an offer for a new Waterloo that is about the same price as the Pfaneuf, that I can pick up new. No risk of delayed delivery.

I know some of you guys have all of these. Is there anything to justify the 30% higher price for the D&G?

your comments would be appreciated.

gmcooper
01-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I have never owned a D&G evaporator but the new D&G catalog just came and they seem very high compared to the others. I know prices are going up but even last years cat. prices are higher than everyone else.

hard maple
01-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Best time to buy a new rig is in the spring when everyone has their sales.
All the prices will be going up when the new catalogs come out.
I think there's a couple of 2x6's for sale in the classified section.
Some of the company's are overpriced for some things and underpriced for others.
Most sugarmakers have a mix of each.
I bought my 2x6 in 2006 and paid around 3800.00 for it

MR Electrician
01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
ok so why not build yr own
theres a set of pans on e bay for under 500
or go to atkinson he has a few used pans too

Brent
01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Wait till the spring for a sale. Nope. I picked up another 100 buckets yesterday and 5 storage tanks. The Half Pint wont keep up. I'd love to build my own but I have a real job. Part of the reason for the tanks and a 2x6 with pre-heater is so I won't have to take EVERY day off when the sap starts running, like I did last year. Maybe this year only every other day.

jemsklein
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
the link has pics of the evaporator we built

Brent
01-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Jemsklien

I had a look at that and figured it would do much more than the Half Pint.

Cute place to park a tractor.

jemsklein
01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
thank you that was my brother going joy ridding

Brent
01-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Joy ride .... looks like he wanted to go swimming with his tractor on.

MR Electrician
01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
uhm yea thats robert if he could he would marry a tractor
thats his joy in life .:confused:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2008, 09:20 PM
With all of these high prices north of the border, I don't hear much complaining about Leader's prices anymore.

Brent
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
If I was buying a Leader today, I sure wouldn't be complaining. But the value of the Half Pint that I already have, is almost Half what it should have been today.

But that's nothing you or I can do anything about. A bigger question for Americans is going to be what happens to the price of syrup with the Quebec
price up so much in terms of US $. I think there will be a glut of unsold syrup in Quebec a year from now.

Thank God they don't have sugar maples in China.

gmcooper
01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Brent
Give them time and China will find a way to mix bambo juice and industrial waste and call it maple syrup and Walmart will buy it by the tanker load.
Mark

H. Walker
01-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Brent

I've seen a lot of pans and the only differance in them is price. D & G is no better than any other. Patrick gives a life time warranty????? But I do know that if you have a problem in the near future he will come to your place and fix it.

Go with the best price!!

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
01-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Patrick is great to deal with. I just bought a pan from him and it is excellent quality and he delivered it himself (I don't know how far he will go?) because he didn't trust the shipping company. I would buy from him again and would reccommend him to anyone.

maple flats
01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
GMCooper, I read somewhere a while bach that China HAS planted sugar maples. I have no clue when they will be big enough to tap. It seems like they were planted in a grid pattern. This is getting scary. I wonder if Walmart put them up to it.

jemsklein
01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
it is true here is a linkwww.mortonarboretumphc.org/feature%20articles/Plant%20Selection/Tree%20Provenance%20July%2030,%202004.pdf

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
....and they will boil the syrup in containers painted with lead based paint........

MR Electrician
01-08-2008, 10:05 PM
....and they will boil the syrup in containers painted with lead based paint........

and they will collect the sap in rubbermaid totes that were supplied by wallmart.
while driving a chinese built massey ferguson.
built from scrap steel that was imported from america.
:mad:

gmcooper
01-09-2008, 06:20 AM
They will package the syrup in containers made from recycled plastic shopping bags from Walmart that we paid them to take from us.