PDA

View Full Version : What can i expect from 2x50 gpd setup? Accidentally ran chlorinated water through!

Fun4stuff
03-06-2021, 05:41 PM
So I have a RO setup with 2x50 gpd membranes (received free from a family member), Aquatec 8852 pump, and a 5 micron filter.

When i was washing the preservative from the membranes i mistakenly used chlorinated tap water (a couple gallons over 30 mins) (i thought 5 micron filter removed chlorine). What are the chances i fouled the filters?

I flushed membranes with spring water soon after the chlorine and then kept the membranes in fridge submerged in the spring water.

A couple days later i tried the RO system out with some sap.

Brix of sap was 3.5 to begin with.

After 1 pass it was 4.5. After 2nd pass it was 6. Brix of permeate was 0. Does this sound reasonable?

I did find i had to increase the pressure to 100 psi to get equal flow from permeate and concentrate lines (probably just over 100 psi, my gauge only goes to 100). When I was doing my initial wash i had it at 80-90 psi. But i was thinking maybe this difference was because the sap was like 35-40 deg F whereas the wash was tap water that was probably 55-60 deg F.

I’m only making syrup as a hobby for my family/friends... i have access to many trees but will probably only do 10-15 taps. I dunno if i should upgrade to 2x150 gpd membranes or add 2 gpd membranes to what i have?